ECY20 Brew Day Video with Steeping Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, not a big concern for me. I really like the oak profile that these light American oak spirals give. The first batch will probably be very oaky, but I plan on solaring this fermenter, so the oak will mellow out. With my tastes though, I may add more oak when that starts to happen.

I never thought of using spirals. Nice idea. I just started my solar a project, 5 gal with lambic blend and 5 with Roeselare. Keep us posted

Yeah, the spirals give a huge oak flavor. I think the vanilla oak flavors you get from these really balance well with a very tart sour beer or even just Brett beers. I recently had an Anchorage witbier, and the oak profile in that beer is very similar to what these spirals give. For some it can be a bit much though, so I would use one in a regular beer first to get an idea of what you are going to get.

I'm almost wondering if doing a flaming of the oak spiral would give similar character to how it would with a bourbon barrel. Plus it would do well to give a lot of small crevices for the bugs to stay in, making transfer of bugs from batch to batch very simple and the need for an actual bourbon barrel non-existent. Just a thought.

I'm almost wondering if doing a flaming of the oak spiral would give similar character to how it would with a bourbon barrel. Plus it would do well to give a lot of small crevices for the bugs to stay in, making transfer of bugs from batch to batch very simple and the need for an actual bourbon barrel non-existent. Just a thought.

That is an interesting idea. I know you can get like three toast levels with the spirals, but flaming it yourself would give you more control over the flavors maybe. You could soak the spiral in bourbon as well, obviously. And I agree completely about it having way more surface area, and being easier to transfer.

I really like these spirals. :)

My lhbs just got some of these spirals, I havent tried them yet but plan to.

I was wondering the same thing about when you added the spiral but since youre preference is a bit more oak then why not toss it in early. I tend to like a more neutral oak in my mixed fermentations, more so for the foodstuffs for Brett and and place for them to live. But I am with you, those Anchorage beers are tasty.

Looks great, keep us updated on how things go.

Latest posts

Back