ECY06 Experience Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sctocinci

Reaction score
Picked this up for a gose I'm brewing this weekend and was looking for anyone with experience with this lacto blend. I was hoping to just primary for the 3-4 months needed and just add the fruit I'll be adding to the primary after a couple weeks. Did any using this transfer to secondary for aging? Do I need to worry about off flavors from the kolsch yeast autolysis during this time period. Primary would be in stainless so not really worried about oxygen permeability, but I'd rather just add fruit in primary than transfer to glass and try to get all that fruit through the neck of a carboy successfully. Thanks

Anyway, thought I would update in case someone else needs some help or to see if my experience with this pitch was abnormal. Chilled to about 80 since that's all I was able to manage. I received the bottle about a month and a half ago and had it in the fridge other than transit to my house through the mail over a couple days. I let it warm for about 6 hours before it went in.

I let it sit in the basement overnight so it cooled to around 68 then it went upstairs where it warmed to about 72 which was in the recommended range of 70-75. I saw no activity for about 5 days. I finally got a slow steady bubble by day 6, though it does not look like there was an active krausen above the wort when I opened to check. It's a stainless container, so I can't really tell whats going on.

I had used bug farm before and the time before use and pitch was very similar and I saw fairly immediate activity, but really a different beast so it may mean nothing.
Hopefully it wasn't a bad bottle. I'm going to move it to a glass carboy and fruit once the airlock stops bubbling. Will taste and report back.

Just going to add on top of the info for the sake of it. Transferred to secondary after 2 weeks. Fermented down to 1.008 so no problem with the primary after all. Slight funk in the smell so I know the lacto is doing something, but not much in ph drop from what i can tell from tasting. Went onto 10lb of nectarines. Others have said it takes a while so I'll leave it and try in two months or more.

Follow up again for posterity. Had a good second fermentation on the nectarines. Left for 3 months, still had great nectarine flavor. Not sure of final ph, but tastes right in line for a gose. Really enjoying this one, will use again.

Latest posts

Back