Economy recirculating wart pump recommendations.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Hello community,

The more research I doing here about going all grain the obvious is that I will need a recirculating wart pump.

Seeing that the majority of my funds are going towards the brew pot I need some recommendations on and economy pump that will work.

Pictures and price are helpful, but anything is appreciated.

Thanks.

imageContent.do
Called a Wort Hog. Made in China but performs extremely well. Light weight, reduced voltage operation for safety and actually outpumps Chugger and March at considerably less cost usually.....Still probably $140.
I sure wouldn't scrimp on a pump for wort.....hate to see all that work and ingredients go bye bye because of a cheap pump failure.

I don't understand why you NEED a pump. I did all grain for 11 months without one. The two biggest reasons I added whet to help chill faster (haven't yet, but I may get a counterflow chiller), and for whirlpool hop additions. One added bonus for me is pumping my strike water up to my HLT, but I just lifted it by hand previously. Plan your system to not use one and it won't be needed.

I was able to find a chugger pump off of here in the "For Sale" section. Others here have had success with an inexpensive 12v pump from eBay or Amazon. I cannot on comment or suggest one because i never used one.

Hello community,

The more research I doing here about going all grain the obvious is that I will need a recirculating wart pump.

Seeing that the majority of my funds are going towards the brew pot I need some recommendations on and economy pump that will work.

Thanks.

I don't see why you "need" a recirculating pump. I've managed to go for nearly 10 years of making all grain beers and I still don't have a pump. I do have a little problem with brewhouse efficiency. I set the software for 85% and constantly end up with a higher OG than predicted.

Do a bit of reading about BIAB and see that most of us don't have pumps unless we're doing a large batch and need a pump to empty the wort into the fermenter.

You don’t need a pump. But, it’s one of those things when you add it, you’ll wonder why you waited so long. Lots of other things to implement before a pump. As mentioned above, I added one to move hot water to hlt. I have a gravity system. Kind of dangerous to lift near boiling water that high. Pump is safer. Also allows me to whirlpool, chilling and helps with cleaning up. Thinking about getting a backup pump.

You don’t need a pump. But, it’s one of those things when you add it, you’ll wonder why you waited so long. Lots of other things to implement before a pump. As mentioned above, I added one to move hot water to hlt. I have a gravity system. Kind of dangerous to lift near boiling water that high. Pump is safer. Also allows me to whirlpool, chilling and helps with cleaning up. Thinking about getting a backup pump.

If your running a mash vessel with a heat source you better have a pump. If your brewing more then 5 gallon batches a pump will save you a trip to the Emergency Room. I always hated trying to get 8 gallons of 170F sparge water into my gravity system. Scared the crap out of myself a few times.

I don't recommend it but if you want to brew in flip flops or with no pants you better have a pump.

If your running a mash vessel with a heat source you better have a pump. If your brewing more then 5 gallon batches a pump will save you a trip to the Emergency Room. I always hated trying to get 8 gallons of 170F sparge water into my gravity system. Scared the crap out of myself a few times.

I don't recommend it but if you want to brew in flip flops or with no pants you better have a pump.
Unless you go BIAB. The water stays where it is and the grain moves

I BIAB and never felt the need for a recirculating pump. I tried it once and got the same results without and had more to clean up.
That being said, the "little brown pump" (google search) is all you need. I think its like $15 with the perfect flow rate. I Recently saw a post here where someone said there expensive chugger pump was collecting dust after buying the little pump

Hello community,

Thanks.
When you say recirculating wort pump do you mean something to recirculate in the mash tun or are you looking for a pump to move wort for other purposes?

I use a 12VDC pump (~$15) to recirculate on my RIMs setup. I use a Chugger-style for my whirlpool and for moving wort through my plate chiller.

When you say recirculating wort pump do you mean something to recirculate in the mash tun or are you looking for a pump to move wort for other purposes?

I use a 12VDC pump (~$15) to recirculate on my RIMs setup. I use a Chugger-style for my whirlpool and for moving wort through my plate chiller.

To recirculate the wart through the top of the grain bed.

To recirculate the wart through the top of the grain bed.

If recirculating, best also to have temperature control as the pump and hoses will be another source of heat loss.

I would get several AG batches experience prior to adding a pump, jMO. I have brewed over 30 years and have never felt the need to complicate the process with a pump. Just my preference. Many ways to work around moving wort and sparge water. Simplest is to split volumes into more manageable amounts, a one gallon pitcher is handy to move a gallon at a time. Also, running wort to your kettle or a bucket at floor level, then lifting in smaller amounts that are manageable.

I’ve done 15 gallon batches this way and it is actually very simple. Moving 5-10 gallons in several increments takes all of a minute or two, less time than hooking up pump, then cleaning pump and hoses. Jmo

That's an easy problem to solve without a pump. Use cool water. Hot water for sparging does little that cool water doesn't.

After about 8 years brewing all grain I've gone through many of the typical brewers growth stages. I started with a converted cooler and a kettle and got tired of picking up heavy, hot pots of water, so I added a Chugger pump. While I wasn't lifting it added cleaning time, especially after I got a plate chiller. I thought I was making life easier and ended up making life, and brew days, more complicated. I now use induction to brew indoors, 20gal kettle will do 5-15 gallon full volume BIAB batches depending on what I'm making, and I have no need for a plate chiller or a pump. I'm going to sell them and buy a Jaded Hydra or King Cobra. I have my cooktop and kettle on a Harbor Freight cart and gravity into my fermenter. Easy brew day, easy clean up. Yesterday I was able to complete all my bottling and kegging chores while I brewed because I wasn't dicking around with some aspect of my system that I don't really need.

That's an easy problem to solve without a pump. Use cool water. Hot water for sparging does little that cool water doesn't.

There is a reason to use hot water but it's the only reason I know as you're right, cool works as well as hot.

The reason is the water is already at 160-170 degrees, which means...it takes less time to heat up to the boil.

8 gallons of cold water is still heavy. It does take away the burn risk, but just as hard on the back.

8 gallons of cold water is still heavy. It does take away the burn risk, but just as hard on the back.

It's much easier on the back if you do it 2 gallons at a time and since you aren't dealing with hot water, the time between buckets doesn't mean much.

Without getting into the "do you actually need a pump" debate (because honestly, do whatever makes you happy), I've been using one of those cheap 12V pumps. Less than $20 on amazon when I bought it. I've done at least 6 brews with it and it's great. More than enough pushing power, even for whirlpooling. Just because I can, I might step up to the 24V version for a few $$ more. FWIW I do single vessel BIAB with recirculating RIMS.

My only complaint with it, make sure you have a screen on your pickup. My last brew i had some grains escape the bag and they kept clogging up the pump. It does not handle grain particles at all. If you have a screen there's no problem there though.

Last edited by a moderator:
After about 8 years brewing all grain I've gone through many of the typical brewers growth stages. I started with a converted cooler and a kettle and got tired of picking up heavy, hot pots of water, so I added a Chugger pump. While I wasn't lifting it added cleaning time, especially after I got a plate chiller. I thought I was making life easier and ended up making life, and brew days, more complicated. I now use induction to brew indoors, 20gal kettle will do 5-15 gallon full volume BIAB batches depending on what I'm making, and I have no need for a plate chiller or a pump. I'm going to sell them and buy a Jaded Hydra or King Cobra. I have my cooktop and kettle on a Harbor Freight cart and gravity into my fermenter. Easy brew day, easy clean up. Yesterday I was able to complete all my bottling and kegging chores while I brewed because I wasn't dicking around with some aspect of my system that I don't really need.

Dude that new set up sounds awesome, do you have any pictures of your cart, loaded out?

It's much easier on the back if you do it 2 gallons at a time and since you aren't dealing with hot water, the time between buckets doesn't mean much.

It seems like a great idea to have a gravity fed 2 gallon bag like the ones that they use for camping showers or when you're in the hospital getting blood. You guys know anyone who's done that?

Yup, I replaced the Chugger with a little tan pump when I thought I still wanted to use the plate chiller. After a few brews I decided I don't need it. I like having it in case I want to do an extended whirlpool or if I ever get a conical or if I want to do a traditional batch sparge mash, but for now I'm enjoying KISS brew days!

I have a keg king MKII with a stainless head. I love it. Besides recirculating mash for pinpoint perfect step mashing, it makes cleanup a snap.

That's one of the things I love about brewing. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want. Buy more gadgets... or not. It doesn't take much to make beer. I love brewing outside in my driveway with my 3 tier gravity setup.

Do you have any pictures of your gravity set up?

Back