Ebiab-rims problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewslikeaking

Reaction score
I have an electric brew in a bag recirculating infusion mash system im oretty proud. However im still working out the kinks. The recirculation comes through a garden hose fitting allowing it to spread over the grain bed evenly as it recirculates. The images show this. Wort leaves the kettle - goes through the pump and back into the kettle through the lid. This is where the garden hose fitting is. Im always cutting it close regarding the water height and the level the garden hose fitting is at. The end of the hose is very close to the wort. When i close the lid all this foam rapidly starts to grow. Its hard to keep my temperatures accurate or repeat recipes when this happens as i am constantly standing by the mash tun taking on and off the lid to keep the foam down. What is happening exactly and if i just leave the lid on and let the foam get out of control will it effect the beer? And how badly?

You're aerating you're wort, and in my experience you're also oxidizing your beer. But that's another discussion entirely 😀

My opinion, your wort return should be below the surface of the wort. I use a LOCLine manifold with a floating mash cap to accomplish both an even distribution and to get it below the surface. Works like a champ.

+1 to the cool look!
+100 on avoiding aerating hot wort.

You could remove the sprayer assembly and connect a 18-24" piece of silicone hose to the SS bulkhead in the lid. Just curl the other end on top of the wort, it will automatically adjust to the height. You could lay a plate or so underneath to get more spread.

Back