Ebay temp controller Dwh7016c

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuciferSam

Reaction score
I put my temp sensor in an old yeast vial, and the water froze, breaking the sensor and warming my beer. What type of sensor is needed?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqN,!i0E3SGCFGI1BOHiy2zy,g~~_3.JPG

This is my temp controller . Dwh7016c 110v

Also, can I use 2 sensors one in water, and a backup in air ? Can I use alcohol / moonshine that won't freeze to keep the sensor in?
If anyone else uses this model temp controller, what settings do you use?

Search ebay for "NTC Probe"

I also dont think its possible to have multiple probe hooked up but people often wire the probes with 3.5mm headphone jacks for easy changing

EDIT: After a bit of digging I see that my controller, which looks identical to yours, uses an NTC probe with the values 10K and 3435. Not sure what they mean but I guess matching them is important

You can pick up a replacement probe here, among other sources.

Your controller has no provision for multiple probes. Indeed, it's a rare controller that does (the only one I can think of is the Love TSS2 dual stage controller that actually allows use of the two stages as independent single stage controls).

If you're trying to control the temperature of beer, why not measure the temperature of the beer?

Cheers!

The reason I can't measure the beer itself is because it's sealed inside of a corny keg! How did you measure the temp of your beer?

The reason I can't measure the beer itself is because it's sealed inside of a corny keg! How did you measure the temp of your beer?
Strap the probe to the side of the keg, near the bottom, covered by some insulating material. Voila, you're now measuring the temperature of the beer.

I use a 2" nylon and elastic band with velcro ends, along with a 3" square of closed cell foam pipe insulation. Works great.

raouliii said:
Strap the probe to the side of the keg, near the bottom, covered by some insulating material. Voila, you're now measuring the temperature of the beer. I use a 2" nylon and elastic band with velcro ends, along with a 3" square of closed cell foam pipe insulation. Works great.

If the probe is not in contact with the beer, you are not accurately measuring its temp... You are measuring the outside of the corny temp!

Experience shared by countless folks has shown a well insulated probe on the outside will read within a half degree of a thermometer-welled probe on the inside.

Easy to implement, and there's no risk of ruining the probe...

Cheers!

If the probe is not in contact with the beer, you are not accurately measuring its temp... You are measuring the outside of the corny temp!
Actually, you are measuring the temperature of the beer, if you insulate the probe adequately from the air. It works.

What doesn't really work is free hanging the probe. I have to admit, I don't understand how your probe froze in a vial of water if your set temperature was well above freezing. Something odd must have happened. IMO, a vial of water has a much lower heat holding capacity compared to a full corny, so that configuration will cool cycle much more frequently than monitoring the corny.

He did say the probe succombed to the drowning.
Apparently a drowned probe keeps calling for cooling...

Cheers! ;)
Why I don't understand:
The probe broke because the water froze.
The water froze because the probe broke.
repeat

Chicken or the egg? ;)

I'm looking at the probe that came with a virtually identical controller to the WH7016 (in this case, it's labelled as an MH1210) and it's clearly not water resistant - you can see huge gaps around the twin-lead wire inside the stainless cap, and I doubt they potted the sensor inside.

I'm going with the theory that the controller wouldn't drive the keezer below the setpoint unless the sensor was reading high the whole time as a consequence of immersion...

Cheers!

Back