Easy water adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMechanic

Reaction score
I had my water tested by Ward's and with few exceptions it is very neutral. PH 6.6 and total Alkalinity CaCO3 27 ppm. Calcium Ca 8 ppm and bicarbonate HCO3 32 ppm, total hardness CaCO3 24ppm, all the rest is <1. Can anyone point me to a program that will easily allow me to adjust my water for BIAB, Bru'n Water seems overly complex. I tend to brew dark or brown beers almost exclusively. Thanks for any help you could provide.

Bru'n Water does seem daunting at first but it works very well. I watched a video on youtube that explained it step by step and now have a good grasp on it. I'd suggest trying that.

I agree, give Bru'n water a second try. 1st read the info. section, then plug your water's numbers in. After that it's easy. Pick your style and play around with the different salt additions to see what you get.
But, looking at your water numbers, you have a pretty soft, almost mineral-free water. You can brew anything with that with small additions of CaCl2 or CaSo4, depending on whether you are shooting for a malty background or a bitter background.

Your water looks pretty good. I too suggest giving Bru'n Water another try. Play with it for a few hours and it will be your brewing sidekick.

Latest posts

Back