Easy no boil methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody s

Reaction score
I'm an all grain brewer that just had a young child move in and have no time or space for brewing.
I remember when I started out 25 or so years ago buying some cans of hopped malt, bioling a gallon of water, pouring in the can, dissolve, and then mix with 4 gallons water in the fermenter and then bottle.
I tried buying some store bought stuff the other day and it was awful.
Anyone have experience with this no boil method? I do have enough time for that and it will keep me in the hobby until I have more time.

You can easily boil the hops for ten minutes in plain water equalling a quarter of the total final beer volume, then drop the extract in at flame out and then afterwards pour it into the fermenter together with the remaining volume of water. If you cool the water before mixing, you wouldn't even need to cool down the boiled part.

Only thing would be to dial in the bitterness, you can guestimate it by typing into brewer's friends a boil gravity of 1.0 as you are boiling the hops in plain water and then play around with amounts till you got your desired numbers. Don't forget to put in the right numbers regarding volume.

And just to make sure, no you don't need dissolved sugars to extract ibus und no, boiling hops in plain water does not result in grassy flavor.

Yes, plain water can dissolve more ibus then wort, and yes I tried this myself, multiple times, it works.

I'm an all grain brewer that just had a young child move in and have no time or space for brewing.
I remember when I started out 25 or so years ago buying some cans of hopped malt, bioling a gallon of water, pouring in the can, dissolve, and then mix with 4 gallons water in the fermenter and then bottle.
I tried buying some store bought stuff the other day and it was awful.
Anyone have experience with this no boil method? I do have enough time for that and it will keep me in the hobby until I have more time.
Do to circumstances (see July/Aug issue of Zymurgy: Last Drop) I've been no-boil extract brewing for a while with good success.

Are you interested in hearing about what people do to brew all-grain with limited time and/or space?
Sure

The new (2019) book "Simple Homebrewing: Great Beer, Less Work, More Fun" may be of interest (20 min mash/boil is covered in the book). If you have an AHA membership, there were a couple of HomeBrewCon presentations in 2017 & 2018 that offered ideas on how to brew with limited time (overnight mash, brewing with extract, ...). /r/homebrewing also discusses this topic periodically (assuming one has time to web-search for the topics).

You may also want to start a new topic here at HBT on brewing all-grain with limited time.

:mug:

Last edited:
Back