Easy difficult to pick up infection while bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Anything is possible but - generally - does it take more to pick up an infection while bottling, since there's alcohol in the beer?

Alcohol and low pH tend to minimize infection risk to negligible levels. Not impossible but unlikely when using standard sanitation practices.

Depends what the infection feeds on. If it is the same sugars that your yeast does, then there won't be much for it to eat.

But if it's something more robust, then you could be in trouble.

Lucky that by this stage if you pick up an infection while bottling, it is local to that bottle or 2, just make sure you sanitize everything before starting the process. I use a bottling tree. it makes things a no brainer

Acetobacter infections can be common but only if you're not careful. One of my batches got infected right in the primary because ALL my bottles, not just one or two, ended up fermenting to carbonated malt vinegar
That was before I switched off to using StarSan in conjunction with the OneStep cleanser. We pickle vegetables and produce in the kitchen and my primary was close by. Put 2+2 together and it didn't take long to change my brew routine.

Back