East Coast IPA/Pale Ale Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barhoc11

Reaction score
I am trying to mimic a low SRM, hazy, highly late addition and whirlpool hopped beer similar Tree House in Massachusetts . Every beer I have from them has fruitiness in their hops with almost no bitterness at the finish.

I am told that the water they use play a big part of this, due to the well water they use. Does anyone have any experience with making a beer this style? I have a good recipe that is full of late addition citra and cascade but I am not sure if my water profile from the Detroit area fits the bill. I am listing my water profile below and would appreciate any input on this. Thanks!

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 25
Mg: 7
Na: 4
Cl: 8
SO4: 18
HCO3: 96

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 3.5 / 5.7
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 8.0

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 2 / 0
CaCl2: 2 / 0
MgSO4: 2 / 3.257142857
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 100 / 54
Mg: 21 / 21
Na: 4 / 4
Cl: 81 / 36
SO4: 161 / 109
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.50 / 0.33

Fruity flavors come from esters and the hops themselves to a certain extent. I met a brewer in the UK (Sean Franklin at Roosters in Harrogate then but I think they've since moved) whose goal was to produce fruit flavors from American Hop varieties. This was a new concept to me and drinking his beers it seemed he was having success. I have/had never heard of such a thing, before or since so can't tell you much more about it that that except to note that I think he just used the Harrogate mains water without any treatment but on his current website he mentions 'soft Yorkshire water'.

Fruity flavors come from esters and the hops themselves to a certain extent. I met a brewer in the UK (Sean Franklin at Roosters in Harrogate then but I think they've since moved) whose goal was to produce fruit flavors from American Hop varieties. This was a new concept to me and drinking his beers it seemed he was having success. I have/had never heard of such a thing, before or since so can't tell you much more about it that that except to note that I think he just used the Harrogate mains water without any treatment but on his current website he mentions 'soft Yorkshire water'.

I agree with the flavors coming from hops but I know the right water profile can compliment those smells and flavors, that is what I am referring to. Your soft water from Yorkshire is the exact opposite I would have thought due to me thinking that well water would be hard. Maybe it isn't as big of an impact as I am thinking?

I agree with the flavors coming from hops...
Most come from esters produced by the yeast dependent on strain and fermentation conditions

..but I know the right water profile can compliment those smells and flavors, that is what I am referring to.
I'd have to plead ignorance there. Water is usually thought of as enhancing sweetness where chloride is used irrespective of hops variety and sharpness/harshess/dryness (not the same kind of dry associated with sec) dependent on hops variety.

Your soft water from Yorkshire is the exact opposite I would have thought due to me thinking that well water would be hard. Maybe it isn't as big of an impact as I am thinking?
Some wells are very soft (Pilsen) and some very hard (Burton).

I would say you are assigning more to the water than is justified. While sulfate in water can ruin a beer brewed with noble hops and chloride can sweeten a beer and enhance its mouthfeel noticeably ordinarily their flavor effects are much less than those of malt and hops choices.

I will say that hard water can add a minerally quality to some beers whereas softer water emphasizes malt and hops. This is what I would think you'd want.

Back