Easiest way I found to reuse yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobo31

Reaction score
I have been doing this for quite awhile. It saves a few bucks per brew and thought I would share.

I take one package of yeast and stretch it pretty far. I take one package of liquid yeast and create a one liter starter out of it. The DME I use is $12.99 for 3 pounds. So that breaks down to .27 cents an ounce so a one liter(4oz. DME) starter is $1.08.

Once the one liter starter is done I then pour some of the yeast and "beer" in to a small sanitized jar label it and put it in the fridge. With the remaining yeast I create a 2 liter starter. Which costs $2.16(8oz. DME). I then use this starter to pitch. So each time I pitch yeast it only costs me $3.24 not counting the cost of the initial vial of yeast. Not to mention I keep a good variety of yeast in the fridge.

Also by doing it this way the yeast never touches a high alcohol environment or hops.

This seems to be working well for me. Does anyone see any issues with this approach?

Similar, I just make a big starter pour off 1/2 liter to save for the next batch and throw the rest in the wort

^^^^What bradpoff said.

Just make a starter that is larger than needed, pour off the extra and bam, you have yeast for your next brew. Use that to create another starter that is larger than you need and bam, you get the cycle...

Can I ask, when you transfer some from the 1 litre batch with some beer how you do this. Do you cold crash or just swirl then add some to the other vessel?

Can I ask, when you transfer some from the 1 litre batch with some beer how you do this. Do you cold crash or just swirl then add some to the other vessel?

Yes I put the 1 liter batch in the fridge overnight then I fill a small jar at least 3/4 with the "beer" from the starter before swirling. Decant almost all the rest of the beer from the starter swirl and fill the jar the rest of the way. Then use what is left in the starter to make the 2 liter starter.

Latest posts

Back