Ease My Mind: Weird Fermentation Stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirgeoph

Reaction score
I know, I know: Time heals most beers, relax, etc. But I'm a bit nervous.

This is my fourth beer. It's a honey rye saison. My rubber stopper in my glass carboy has been a real pain and it might not have been in all the way for who knows how long. We're at about 16 days fermenting. It's inside of a mini-fridge, regulated with a temp sensor at 78deg (started at 69deg for first 8 days, then moved to 78 as per recipe).

Everything looks okay I guess, but there's some weird white stuff right near the indentations of the carboy. The past three beers we've done never had this. Now, this is my first experience with saison yeast, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing, but like I said: my rubber stopper might not have been sealed all the way.

What do you more experienced brewers think?

IMG_20130423_190339.jpg

That's the carboy inside the fridge (towel wrapped around it to maintain temperature)

IMG_20130423_190352.jpg

Close up of weird white stuff

sirgeoph said:
Everything looks okay I guess, but there's some weird white stuff right near the indentations of the carboy. The past three beers we've done never had this.

That's just yeast flocculating. I get it all the time. When you move the carboy to rack it to your bottling bucket, it will probably drop to the bottom. Relax it's all cool.

Back