Early Morning Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of different projects going on here, didn't start the boil until almost noon thirty.
It only takes one non early morning brew to reaffirm the early morning brew. Never again.

I love it. I got a full night's sleep, but I still had my strike water heating up at 4:00 am because of Daylight Savings.

Started up my burner at 5 AM for 2 liters of my Strong Scotch Ale, but the wind is definitely an issue today...

Monster busy brew day yesterday. Fired the burners (electrically speaking) at 7am for our annual Christmas beer.

During the mash, PBW'd, sanitized and pressurized two cornies. During the sparge, filled them from the conical and moved them into the kegerator.

Then during the boil, cleaned out and sanitized that conical. Filled it after the boil. No wasted pipeline time for that conical!

A buddy dropped by with some of his English IPA. Delicious!

After that, pitched two smack packs into a starter. I'll pitch that starter into the beer today before I leave on a business trip. I had wanted to prepare that starter the day before, but work and SWMBOs Halloween plans got in the way. This will work out just fine, though, now that the beer is safely in the fermenter.

Nearly the same here. Woke up at 4 AM, tossed and turned until 4:45 and was mashing in by 5:20. Started the boil a little after 7.

Nice and quiet in the house and time for another cup of coffee.

I fired up the strike kettle at 0700 yesterday for the Spiced Winter Ale. I usually brew early while smoking meat which normally starts early.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

During the summer I can see getting up early to brew, I'm more or less up with the sun at 4.30am or so. During the winter? Blergh. I would prefer to get up at 9am and go to bed at 4pm (essentially with the sun rise and fall).

Decided to do an early brew Sunday, mashed in at 4:30 was cleaned up and back in bed at 8:05. Was one of the easiest and best brew days I have ever had. Everything went perfect.

It's 4:15 here on the west coast and time to start the coffee pot and heat my strike water. Today I'll be brewing BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter. I've brewed a few of his recipes and all have been fantastic, so looking forward to this one as well.

Mash almost done on a 10g batch of BM Centennial Blonde. Fired up at 730am. Not really that early, but OK for a rainy Sunday.

I'm about to grind some coffee beans and get my ass to town, have to pick up 4 lbs of oats from Wolly World, then I've got a "hot" date with Ms. Maris and a Corona Mill.

Not quite as early as I would've liked, but I just mashed in for a Mild. The coffee is good and Walter, my brew dog, is hangin' out for the sunrise.

Not too shabby.

Cheers.

Just lit the strike water a few minutes ago. Brewing my first smoked Hefe Beer, Gratz style. I smoked 2 lbs of White Wheat with Mesquite and Juniper (Cedar) last night. It's good to be back in the Early Brew mode.

Starting the grind on 20 lbs of Maris Otter and a handful of dark killed and crystal grains and later 10 lbs of Red X. Adjusting the water profile for a wee heavy in about 10 minutes. Then it's chili makin time! Usually this doesn't happen until 4pm!

I dawdled over a couple cups of coffee so I'm starting a little later than usual, but the strike water is heating up.

My first few brews were after school affairs - starting around 3pm, finishing close to 8. Did not make wife very happy, she's an evening gal. So my 3rd was mashed in at 6:15am during Spring Break, and she didn't even wake up until partway through the boil. Cleaned up and pitched before noon, we had all day together. Much better for everybody! I brewed a stout with coffee in hand - nothing like starting a day off with two black brews!

I'm an early riser for brewing also. Up at 6.15 am today. Everything squared away by 10.30. Having two little ones that need feeding, changing and stuff adds some time for sure.

Always very excited about an upcoming brewery anyway so waking early with excited anticipation is no great chore. I like the early brews.

03:40 lit my strike water; brewing my Chicken Chap Brown Ale for the Karl Strauss Competition. English Brown Ale that is my oldest brother's favorite

Not brewing, but pulled samples from two lagers I've got going for gravity and clarity check. Had to taste them of course, all before coffee. They're done and ready to bottle.
Carb in the bottle, then cold lager, I'm much better prepared this summer than last.

Been at it for about 2 hours now, started at 6:30 am. Brewing a sour red today. About 15 minutes left in the mash currently, and everything else is standing by ready to go. Should be done before noon!

Doughed in around 5 this morning and got a smallish brisket on the smoker at about the same time.

Nothing like sitting in your chair and being able to look out the window to the left and see beautiful smoke, looking to the right to see a mash kettle on the stove, and looking down to see an incredibly needy dog trying desperately to get your attention.

I do believe this is the good life :mug:

Doughed in around 5 this morning and got a smallish brisket on the smoker at about the same time.

Nothing like sitting in your chair and being able to look out the window to the left and see beautiful smoke, looking to the right to see a mash kettle on the stove, and looking down to see an incredibly needy dog trying desperately to get your attention.

I do believe this is the good life :mug:

I think you just described heaven.

Got my Honey Nelson Saison recipe going, just about to do my first decoction, yeah 'bout time I start the coffee.

I lit flame-on my mash water for an IPA at 3:00 am last Saturday. At the end of the IPA boil, (6:30 am) I dough'd in a Porter mash.

Just after I finished up and pitched the IPA, I starting draining the mash for the Porter.

Finished the Porter and all cleaned up at 10:00am.
Two batches in 7 hours. Only had one beer for breakfast.

It was my intention to dough in at 6am today.
Had everything ready to go but alas, life and fatherhood take a front seat.
Daughter walked downstairs as I was headed out to the brew barn and informed me that she felt "pukish".
I handed her a bucket and told her to relax on the couch for a bit.
She relaxed for about 30 seconds and then proceeded to barf and did so every 5 minutes for close to an hour.
Brew day started at 8am while she napped on the couch.

I did this a few weeks ago and it was absolutely glorious. I was done brewing/cleaning up by noon and I got to spend the rest of the day doing whatever else. I should take random Mondays off more often.

I work a rotating 12 hr 6pm-6am schedule with every other fri-sat-sun off. Im a nighttime brewer. Usually start 8 or 9pm on an off day and boil all into the night.

Got strike water up to temp around 5:45, crushed grains and doed in by 6:30.
Nice pumpkin ale brewing today. Crushing apples with the kids later for fresh cider. Got a pork butt smoking too. Good day coming up!

Back