Ear Syringe for Hose Cleaning and Siphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Reaction score
Apologies if this is old news for some. I just figured this out today and thought I would share.

I originally bought one of these 3oz. ear syringes so I can squirt star-san into my kettle valves before transferring wort. I have since learned that you can use it for a lot of other things like topping off the star-san in airlocks and forcing sanitizer or cleaning agents through hoses and racking canes.

It can also be used to start siphons cleanly and easily. Place the racking cane in the bucket or carboy, squeeze the bulb to force all of the air out of it, place the syringe tip into the end of your siphon hose, then release the bulb and it will start the siphon. No auto-siphon or unsanitary (oral) siphoning tricks needed!

Note that the bucket or carboy must contain a few gallons of beer or other fluid for this to work. It won't work if you only have a very small amount of fluid in your vessel because the syringe won't generate enough suction.

bulb_syringe.jpg

Very clever, this would work better than the turkey baster + carboy cap that others have recomended. I do still love carboy cap + vacuum or co2 tank though.

I have one around for my toddler but if I go this route I think I will buy one for dedicated use in the brewery. I have sucked some nasty boogers out of her nose with that thing!

Latest posts

Back