E-HERMS 55gal System BCS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElNess

Reaction score
Hello Homebrewtalk family!

I have been brewing all-grain now for about 3 years with my small 5gal system, but now it is time to step into the big leagues! So I am looking at building a 55gal system out of some new 55gal SS barrels I have gotten. I find myself to be rather handy when it comes to plumbing, basic mechanics and basic electrical (sub-panels, outlet and so forth) but then it comes to the advanced electronics of semi-automated control panel I find myself at a loss.

Theres what am looking at doing, I want to build a E-HERMS 50amp brewing system with 2 4500w heating elements in both the HLT and the BK (for a total of 4 4500w elements), BCS-462 and 2 pumps.

I have look at all the forms, diagrams and schematics I could find regarding this but it would seem I have to "mash" a lot of them together to make my system work. PJ diagram and the tutorials from theelectricbrewery website, but like I said I have to piece these all together.

Looking at PJ diagram it would seem I just have to change the 40amp ssr to 80amps, add a few more fuses and bob is your uncle. I do know there is more I just don't see it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

How large are your batches going to be? I'd be pretty surprised if you can heat 40 gal+ with 9000W. Someone else can do the math, but at the very least you'd be spending a lot of time "waiting".

There was a cool 3 phase build using large stainless drums, but that's probably beyond what most homeowners can get access to.

So - how big you going?

I would think that you will want more heat input. Also, you can use one relay per heating element so that you don't need such large relays. The bigger the relay, the more it is going cost! Not to mention that higher loads mean more heat to dissapate.

Ebrewsupply has a 4-element 50-amp panel that you can buy or put together yourself. Something to think about. You could drive 2 5500 watt elements off a 50-amp circuit.

Do you have access for 3-phase? that would be much better. Brewmation can source you some bigger stuff. A couple of their 15,000 watt 3-phase elements should get the job done. :D

Also, I was touring a nano in Flagstaff, AZ, recently and they were powering their 3-bbl system with (4) 4000 watt 3-phase elements and a brewmation control panel. It was awesome. They could boil fine but had challenges getting sparge water up to temp in time after mashing in. The water into the tank was 50 degress f and it took the entire mash time to heat to mash temperatures.

More info please!

I wish I could use a 3 phase but I only have a regular 200amp panel. A 100amp subpanel off that with two 50amp circuits running into my control panel, this way I can run both the HLT and the BK at the same time.

I am looking to do 32 gal set up. Rethinking it I could do 2x5500w heating elements and that should do the trick.

Thanks for the article! It gives me a better understanding of BTUs actually needed.

You bet. I am not an engineer and thus do know these things right off the top of my head. It took me a while to get a good grasp of the concepts. Good luck!

EINess
Ok this is where I question the E-HERMS systems. When you get into mashing in 30 to 50 lb of grain which has a big mass you will not lose temperature during a 1 hour mass. To level out the temp in the grain bed a simple recirculation of the wort will do that. And if your trying to step mash with that weight of wet grains you have your work cut out to add enough BTU’s in a reasonable amount of time.
OK
I do like the looks of all the bells and whistles that some people build. And to have control over all the variables during mashing in is Ideal.
Below is a video of a nice set up you might like
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtRK8vQVcfM[/ame]

This is our 1bbl build that over 4 years went to a 3bbl system and pro.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/squam-lakes-brewery-pictures-144764/index5.html
It’s a simple system, makes great beer at a profit and has great growth potential.

Good luck and I will follow your thread.

Dear All. We have a new 55gal electrical HERMS brewing kit from Blichmann. The installation is almost finised. Could you give me a bit support for first brewing ? I used approx 12 gal pot with gas burners without any automatization. :). Any help would be useful if you have experience with this system.
55gal EHERMS.jpg

Latest posts

Back