E brew supply build troubleshooting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoodsbrewing

Reaction score
Has anyone on the forum built a controller from one of the diy kits from e brew supply I could use a little help trouble shooting after initial power up. I.e. The e stop doesn't shut down the whole system. Shouldn't it

Has anyone on the forum built a controller from one of the diy kits from e brew supply I could use a little help trouble shooting after initial power up. I.e. The e stop doesn't shut down the whole system. Shouldn't it

Just did an entire build on my youtube channel.. Covered that in pretty good detail.

Here is a link to that video.. You can PM me some photos if you want..
https://youtu.be/FHbzvKoTE50

I haven't used his kit. I only ordered a couple things from him and sourced all the other parts myself.

IMG_1046.jpg

The red mushroom button should not stop or kill any process. But it should hault all processes on both sides 220/110. Once the button is turned off, everything should continue as if untouched.

If yours is only deactivating power to some output devices, the unaffected devices don't have the power routed through the E-stop.

The E-stop should be on the controlled side of the 15a breaker and it should contain an NC contact block on the side when the button is not active and an NO contact block on the active side. All the power running to the power side of the contact blocks on all your switches should have the power coming off the NC side of the e-stop. They should be daisy chained. See the red wires on the door panel. They jump from one block to the next on all switches. Top row of 3 are the elements 220v side. Bottom two are pumps.

The E-stop inactive is allowing current because the block is "never closed" so it faults on. The E-stop active side is "never on" so it faults off. Once the NO side is on, it moves the power to the red LED and cuts power to all contactors and pumps.

110v power is used to turn on the contacts and thus providing 220v to the elements. The pump side doesn't have a contractor because it only needs 110v. When the E-stop is triggered, the 110v activating the electromagnet to the contactors shuts down thus cutting the 220v power to the element. And of course it's cutting the 110v to the pumps at the same time. The BCS will still assume everything is running since it can't detect the current. So once deactivated, all power is back and the process continues as nothing happened.

Sometimes understanding the action helps to understand the reason behind the wiring. So hope that helps.

Sorry about that I built a pid version.I had a few bugs I had to work out one was on a protective circuit. I was unsure because part of the circuit was wired to a normally closed contact off of the E stop but there was a note that it should come off of the normally open. All I had to do was change a wire around. The only downside is I had to wire nut the wires because there were already two wires on that contact. A jumper from the adjacent NC contact and power going to the PID's. After that everything powered up and the E stop kills power to the pumps and heating element. But leaves the PID's running. Which makes sense.I haven't set parameters on the PID's or engaged the heat elements yet but I will asap thanks for your comments

Sorry about that I built a pid version.I had a few bugs I had to work out one was on a protective circuit. I was unsure because part of the circuit was wired to a normally closed contact off of the E stop but there was a note that it should come off of the normally open. All I had to do was change a wire around. The only downside is I had to wire nut the wires because there were already two wires on that contact. A jumper from the adjacent NC contact and power going to the PID's. After that everything powered up and the E stop kills power to the pumps and heating element. But leaves the PID's running. Which makes sense.I haven't set parameters on the PID's or engaged the heat elements yet but I will asap thanks for your comments

Glad you got it figured out. I have a video in that series on the PID setup and the auto tune as well. Cheers! 🍻

Back