E-Brew Newb Looking for RIMS Advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specharka

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

First and foremost I have to say what an invaluable resource this community is, especially in DIY projects. I am no stranger to homebrewing but a complete novice in electrical wiring, and I'm looking for some help building a simple RIMS control panel.

I am planning on making a small control panel to use with a RIMS tube and the existing 20A 120V GFCI service to perform step mashes with my Igloo cooler MLT. The system would consist of a heating element, pump, and RTD. From what I gather, I would need the following components for a simple CP:
1) PID controller, Auber SYL-2362 or equivalent
2) 25-40A SSR, with external heat sink
3) switches
4) contactors
5) terminal blocks
6) LEDs
7) electrical project box

The wiring diagrams i researched here and through the Electric Brewery seem pretty simple to follow, but I'm having some trouble picking through the rest of the puzzle. What tools do you need to wire the electrical box safely? What other consumable materials are required? What other components are necessary to wire the pump, element, and RTD to the box?

I do have some experience with DIY projects (keezer, temperature controller), so I'd like to expand on those skills. I'm not savvy with soldering at all, so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

I'd appreciate any help from you guys on this one before I blow the $600+ required to make the e-brewing jump. Thanks!

Check out this link in from my local homebrew club. I have a new controller now, but use this RIMS tube to this day.
http://www.stlbrews.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3109

Sold a few controllers - here's a link to a video one guy made using the system.
http://hackaday.com/2012/09/12/buil...fusion-mash-system-for-your-brewing-pleasure/

Sure, you could buy a solution, but where's the fun in that? Besides, the EZBoil has a manual knob to control the boil. This is superfluous for a RIMS tube. Instead, the SYL-2352 will get the job done.

Check out this link in from my local homebrew club. I have a new controller now, but use this RIMS tube to this day.
http://www.stlbrews.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3109

Sold a few controllers - here's a link to a video one guy made using the system.
http://hackaday.com/2012/09/12/buil...fusion-mash-system-for-your-brewing-pleasure/

Sure, you could buy a solution, but where's the fun in that? Besides, the EZBoil has a manual knob to control the boil. This is superfluous for a RIMS tube. Instead, the SYL-2352 will get the job done.

That's not the only difference. Do you have an ezboil unit? Have you seen them in action compared to a pid? I have used both now..
I am no auberins fanboy, But the ezboil is much quicker to adjust and it maintains the temp setpoint a lot better with less fluctuation and overshoot. It uses a different algorithm to maintain temps. No need to auto tune like you do with a pid and rims and also the flow rate changing in won't cause fluctuation you will get from a pid It also has built in timed control and alarms which is very useful. A pid will work.. the ezboil is just better at everything it does plus it offers more flexibility and features.

I highly recommend the BCS 460 or 462 controller. It literally replaces all PIDs. It is an inexpensive, powerful, web based controller. It is very easy to set up your processes from strike temp, mash temsp and steps, boil control, fermentation and what ever else you can imagine.
I fill my HLT, put my grains in the mash tun the night before brewday and start the process while laying in bed with a cup of coffee. I also highly recommend RIMS over HERMS so many advantages. Last but not least 1,200 watts is probably too small. If you are making the investment in a RIMS system go bigger. I use a 5,500 watt in HLT, 4,500 watt in RIMS and 4,500 watt in the boil kettle. The solid state relays controlled by the BCS controller never scorch the wort and the temperature control is insane.

My first rims setup was 1000w and worked fine to maintain temps.. I use 2000w now and do step mashes with without problems... The key is the proper flow speed for each setup I think.
Bcs is a good choice for an all electric setup but if one is just using electric for a rims I wouldn't suggest it since its overkill in that case.

Latest posts

Back