duotight - replace requlator ball valve cutoff and barb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jungdahl

Reaction score
What part do I need to replace the regulator shutoff and barb so to use a duotight fitting.
I have a Taprite series 3740 regulator.

Just cut my finger on the screw clamp. This was the second time and since I'm on blood thinners that's enough. Already have duotight on the liguid rise.

Would need to see what your regulator looks like. For mine I could just unscrew the barb and screw on a duotight ffl.

If the barb is built in to the valve, no dice. If the barb is threaded on to a male flare, the you can do it.

Well, it would still be doable, just need to look at it different! Small section of 8mm o/d tubing on the barb and connect a duotight hose coupling, ball valve or check valve. Then he only has a small bit of tubing that will alway stay attached to the regulator but he will be easily able to take the rest of his hosing on and off as necessary. If he uses the ball valve he wouldn’t even need to turn off tank or regulator when wanting to change from one connection to another. That’s what i was doing when i only had one co2 tank and wanted to switch between my keezer and other co2 needs like pressure transfers from fermenter to keg.

fwiw...

chudnow_mod_3sm.jpg

Had a couple of 1/4" MFL - 1/4" barb adapters and a pair of JG 1/4" FFL - 5/16" OD ptc connectors and whipped this together...

Cheers!

What part do I need to replace the regulator shutoff and barb so to use a duotight fitting.
I have a Taprite series 3740 regulator.

My solution to the exact same objective after not being able to remove the shutoff valve:

Basically, it is the 3/8" barb to a very short 5/16" gas line to 3/8" barb with 1/4" flare nut to 1/4" x 1/4" MFL connector (available at home depot - see picture below) to Duotight connector. It works great, just has a few more connections that could leak, but can easily be checked. It has been in operation for about 6 months without a problem.

Note, some have successfully attached 5mm EVA tubing directly to a barb using boiling water and a swaging tool. I have done it to a 1/4" barb and some have accomplished this with a 3/8" barb. This route will eliminate everything but the EVA gas line downstream of the shutoff valve. I cannot comment on the integrity of the connection.

1597516742533.png

1597516843205.png

Are these CDC Speedfit what I need to replace the MFL fittings on my QDs?

Update: I got 4 for less than $10 (with a $2 coupon) so I'll let you know in 6-8 weeks if they work. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
Back