Dunkin' Donuts Coffee Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yancydc

Reaction score
Being good native New Englanders, my wife and I love Dunkin' Donuts, and especially a big iced coffee on a hot summer day. I decided to feed our addiction with a DD coffee porter.

I had never brewed a porter before, so I started with the Brewers Best robust porter kit, with 2 cans of Porter LME and 4 oz each of de-bittered black, caramel 120, and chocolate grains. I can't remember off the top of my head what the hops were (I remember they were English, I have them written down at home), and Notty yeast.

I let that sit in primary for about a month, and the night before bottling, I cold-brewed a batch of Dunkin Donuts regular roast coffee. I used the Toddy system: Amazon link. I added 4 cups of the cold brew, which may have been a bit too much if the brew had been strong. However, mine came out a bit weak, due to a number of factors: 1) I've read that the coffee should be ground for a french press, ideally; 2) I didn't use enough coffee due to the directions being a bit wonky when referring to liquid ounces and ounces by weight; and 3) not sure how fresh the grind was. But dammit, I was going to use DD coffee, and this was my only option.

Final report: came out great. The porter itself tasted good before the addition, but the coffee really ups that delicious roasted flavor, and you get a nice sweet hit at the beginning since it was cold brewed. Next time I make a coffee beer, I'll probably use fresh roasted and ground local coffee to get a bigger hit of it, but for this experiment, I'm really happy with the results.
:mug:

DD coffee porter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks and sounds really good. Is that cold brew system ready to use besides just coffee beans and water? I'm looking to brew up either a Stout or even a Brown Ale this fall and then add some cold brewed coffee to taste into the secondary. This looks like a sweet little system. How does it differ from a french press?

The cold brew system is ready to go with added water and grounds, and simple to use. I don't think it really differs from a french press except in method of filtering, but I've never used one. I also suspect you would need a pretty big french press to make the same amount of brew that the Toddy does. Someone could correct me, but I think if you have a french press, you don't need anything else.

I also forgot to mention I took a gamble and didn't boil the cold brew after steeping, and just added. I felt pretty confident nothing would be growing in there, and I seem to be correct.

Latest posts

Back