Dunkel Sulfur smell, remove airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinAthas

Reaction score
Hello all,

I brewed an AG Dunkelweizen (first attempt) this weekend, and pitched WL Hefe IV with no starter Sunday night. It's been at approx 63-64 bubbling away nicely, from what I read on the forum I know the yeast are probably strained at that temp and that the sulfur smell isn't necessarily out of the ordinary. My question is once airlock activity slows, should I remove it to allow the sulfur smell to leave the carboy, or should I leave the airlock on?

Thanks in advance!

No way dude. let it go with the airlock on. I've brewed light lagers that had that smell too, it definitely wont affect the final beer to leave it airlocked.

leave it on. the sulphur smell is what we like to call 'rhino farts', totally normal and won't make your beer smell or taste like a rhino's @$$. but please, leave the airlock on unless you're taking a quick gravity reading or ready to move the brew.

brewed a dunkel last saturday, and it smells like ass too! i used 3068, fermenting around 64, things have slowed down so i warmed it up to around 68. we shall see how things turn out.

So fermentation is coming to an end, and this still smells like sulfur. Not as bad as it did originally, but still noticeable. I am going to rack to a keg next week, should I leave this in the primary for another week-10 days? Will any of the smell leave the carboy if there's no activity from the yeast?

The other question I have is can I purge the keg a few times once I rack to see if that may help?

I've never had a beer with a smell this noticeable, if you can't tell :)
Thanks for the help!

i am in the same exact boat. fermentation is complete, but there is still a sulfer smell, no where near as bad during active fermentation, but still there. i was planning to keg this one soon, but i think i will put it on the back burner for a while to see if it ages out. i would hate to keg it and have a stench beer.

If this doesn't improve by the end of next week I'm thinking about doing a splashy transfer into a bucket, letting it sit there for a day or two shaking occasionally, and then a splashy transfer into the keg. I know there's risks involved, but who wants a rotten egg Dunkel?

:
If this doesn't improve by the end of next week I'm thinking about doing a splashy transfer into a bucket, letting it sit there for a day or two shaking occasionally, and then a splashy transfer into the keg. I know there's risks involved, but who wants a rotten egg Dunkel?

not sure how that is going to improve the beer. :confused:

I'm not either, that's why I'm looming for ideas. I was thinking it would aerate the beer allowing the smell to dissipate.

Back