Dundee's Honey Brown Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh.. I remember drinking those in the 90s. The name is a bit of a fib. It is certainly not brown. Probably between 7 and 10 srm. No hop presence really. Maybe 15 ibu. Less than 5%ABV . It is more of a clean adjunct lager with a bit of something more flavorful and sweet.

A quick online search didn't turn up any recipees. I would try

88% 2 row brewers malt
6% honey
6% crystal 60
15-20 IBU of any hop at 60
Yeast fermentis 34/70
Mash at 150
Ferment around 55-65f should work.

I suspect there is some corn in the original but this should be close to what i remember. If you want to improve upon the original.. maybe swap out 1 or 2 pounds of 2row for vienna or light munich.

Ahh.. I remember drinking those in the 90s. The name is a bit of a fib. It is certainly not brown. Probably between 7 and 10 srm. No hop presence really. Maybe 15 ibu. Less than 5%ABV . It is more of a clean adjunct lager with a bit of something more flavorful and sweet.

A quick online search didn't turn up any recipees. I would try

88% 2 row brewers malt
6% honey
6% crystal 60
15-20 IBU of any hop at 60
Yeast fermentis 34/70
Mash at 150
Ferment around 55-65f should work.

I suspect there is some corn in the original but this should be close to what i remember. If you want to improve upon the original.. maybe swap out 1 or 2 pounds of 2row for vienna or light munich
Thank you for the reply. I had the same luck you did trying to find a recipe for this beer. Given the thousands of recipes out there for some pretty obscure brews it is amazing to me a really close version of this does not seem to exist.
I took a stab at it about a year ago and my bill looked pretty close to yours and in fact I added 1/2 pound of flaked corn. It tasted great and was easy to drink. Dundee's HBL was one of my favorite beers and I just wanted to see if anyone had a tried and true recipe for it.

Back