Dump or Keep Samples Used for Testing Gravity??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLouBrew

Reaction score
I've been nursing along a problem batch of Saison that's been very slow to ferment and reach an acceptable FG. Along the way I've had to take multiple hydrometer readings just to see if various solutions were working.. or not. Each time... because I read this somewhere... I've been reluctantly tossing out the sample I used to get my hydrometer reading.

If I had the funds right now I'd buy a refractometer.. but I don't. So I thought I'd check to see what everyone else is doing. Do you sanitize your hydro tube and hydrometer and return back to the batch, or do you toss it out?

Drink them! What temp are you fermenting at? What yeast? I'm cold crashing a saison now, had to ramp it up to 90F to finish.

I always drink them. It's part of the testing process. If I were taking numerous samples though I might put them back in. It's not that hard to sanitize, and your beer isn't that vulnerable after it's fermented. It would depend on the size of the batch and the number of samples I guess.

Drink them. Avoids waste and contamination. I love to taste the change over time. From original to final - love it!

I taste them, partly as a quality control step. It takes a while, but you can sometimes see if a fermentation related flaw is seeking in, and adjust before it gets too late. You do need to be aware that some things which are flaws in finished beer are just because fermentation I not done yet. It takes some experience but it helps get you closer to the process.

I always taste the sample to ensure progress is being made. I never add it back to the FV.

Is it an unwise practice to save said samples until bottle time to boil with primer and add back in??

The only time I ever plan on pulling a sample to take a reading and dump back in is gonna be when im babysitting a high gravity beer like the 120 clone... especially considering standard op is to whisk your sugar additions in a sanitized container and pour the solution in. Any other time I drink them, not worth the risk to save at most a glass of beer.

I taste and dump. I don't want to risk the infection.

I only take 2 samples though, anyway. I take one for O.G. during chilling, and another when the beer is on its way into the keg, for F.G., so I can determine ABV %. I don't bother taking readings along the way, since I'm not bottling so there's no risk of bottle bombs. Besides, I allow a full 3 weeks to ferment, so if after 3 weeks it looks done and isn't showing any signs of infection, it's safe to say it's as low as it's going to go.

Drink them! What temp are you fermenting at? What yeast? I'm cold crashing a saison now, had to ramp it up to 90F to finish.

Chef - My original mistakes with this Saison included too low of a fermentation temp (68-70F), a premature (and possibly unecessary) transfer to a secondary, and perhaps not using enough yeast (the OG was 1.080). My original yeast was Wyeast 3724. I re-pitched using a 3711. I'm now fermenting at around 78F and I have a steady bubble rate. I'm not going to mess with it any more or do any more gravity readings until it looks like it's done bubbling.

And also, as many on here have suggested, I have taken a taste at each reading along the way and have noted changes in the flavor as things progress. Despite all my mistakes and all the difficulty I've had with this one, I'm still hopeful that it' s going to turn out to be a yummy beer.

Cheers :mug:

ALWAYS TASTE THEN DUMP! Never put back in as a few ounces is not worth screwing up your whole batch!

One of the guys here says "every hydrometer test is a waste of what would have been good beer" he's right !
Upgrade ASAP to refractometer , I use my long thermometer, I sanitise it then poke it down the airlock hole, that gives a big enough drip for the refractometer and I have my reading.
Only because I too noticed the wastage was alarming on my low volume brewing.

One of the guys here says "every hydrometer test is a waste of what would have been good beer" he's right !
Upgrade ASAP to refractometer , I use my long thermometer, I sanitise it then poke it down the airlock hole, that gives a big enough drip for the refractometer and I have my reading.
Only because I too noticed the wastage was alarming on my low volume brewing.

I use a refractometer pre and post boil but you guys are using them post fermentation ?? I didn't think you could use them once alcohol is in the liquid :confused:

I neither dump them out or back in. I drink every one of them. For one thing it helps me to see the stages the beer is going through in fermentation.

Let's see the alternatives:
(1) Dump the sample back in. This is done by many and is fine, but there is always the possibility, no matter how minuscule that a batch will get infected by doing this.
(2) Dump the sample down the sink. No harm no foul, but I really hate to waste something I have worked hard to produce.
(3) Do like the one person who said save it, boil it with the priming and add to the bottling bucket. Ok. Let's see. Take a product that has alcohol, boil all the alcohol out of it, so that all that is left is the unfermentables and stuff that the alcohol may have actually masked and dump that back in the beer. No thanks. It probably works fine, but I am not that averse to dumping such a small amount of beer.
(4) Drink the sample as a reward for the time to make the beer and take the sample. I split it with my wife so we can both imagine how the beer will taste when finished.

Those who don't want to "waste" the sample and insist on finding some way to introduce it back to the beer seems a lot like what we used to call "spending a dollar to save a dime." Why risk five gallons to save a few ounces?

I use a refractometer pre and post boil but you guys are using them post fermentation ?? I didn't think you could use them once alcohol is in the liquid :confused:

You're right, the presence of alcohol renders a refractometer inaccurate, but as I understand it, there's a conversion chart/formula for correcting the reading. That said, I still just use a hydrometer for my post-fermentation readings. I own a refractometer and honestly, have only ever used it once. I can't be bothered to calibrate it with room-temperature distilled water each time I need to use it.

Chef - My original mistakes with this Saison included too low of a fermentation temp (68-70F), a premature (and possibly unecessary) transfer to a secondary, and perhaps not using enough yeast (the OG was 1.080). My original yeast was Wyeast 3724. I re-pitched using a 3711. I'm now fermenting at around 78F and I have a steady bubble rate. I'm not going to mess with it any more or do any more gravity readings until it looks like it's done bubbling.

And also, as many on here have suggested, I have taken a taste at each reading along the way and have noted changes in the flavor as things progress. Despite all my mistakes and all the difficulty I've had with this one, I'm still hopeful that it' s going to turn out to be a yummy beer.

Cheers :mug:
3711 while not a favorite is breast and will finish just fine at that temp.
As a few have said I only sample at start and kegging and wait at least three weeks unless I see something to raise concern.

I only sample when I am very certain it will be done-done- I taste my samples.

Never saw the point in taking samples over and over again. Keep those fermenters closed people!

Yep, never interfere with fermentation until the very, very end (or what you think is the very, very end). Oxygen/air is bad for beer and you risk contamination. It's not worth it!

Lolomt7 you are right , once fermentation has started things are different and some maths are required, I simply use the site here

http://www.musther.net/vinocalc.html

I find its great tells me loads, and brings the refractometer into another life, for making it a very valuable tool. Now I only use the hydrometer for the last SG reading before bottling (my SG)

On this site there is a section where you can actualy get the abv% from any bottle of beer, even commercial.

Back