Dumbfounded - never seen this before using gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
I've used gelatin for 8+ years and it works great.

I always pull a sample in a clear glass cylinder when I go to the secondary (stainless) to let me know what's going on in there.

Initially, they cylinder showed a blob towards the top, then it fell to the bottom - the gelatin.

After 1 week, beer being brilliant, the gelatin in the cylinder was still on bottom.

I kegged tonight, and when I get 1/2 keg full, I open my secondary to monitor the last runnings.

When I looked in the secondary, the gelatin was

I've used gelatin for 8+ years and it works great.

I always pull a sample in a clear glass cylinder when I go to the secondary (stainless) to let me know what's going on in there.

Initially, they cylinder showed a blob towards the top, then it fell to the bottom - the gelatin.

After 1 week, beer being brilliant, the gelatin in the cylinder was still on bottom.

I kegged tonight, and when I get 1/2 keg full, I open my secondary to monitor the last runnings.

When I looked in the secondary, the gelatin was FLOATING ON TOP. WTF ?

I have NEVER had this happen.

If ANYONE knows what I did, please clue me in. This has never happened

BTY, the beer smells great and is brilliant.

Thanks

Just a guess. Maybe you overheated the gelatin solution prior to mixing with the wort. If you get the gelatin/water mixture too near boiling, it will solidify when cooled and stay dispersed in the wort and bind with the clouding proteins and such. Your clear beer was probably more the result of good technique and time. (I heat my gelatin/water mixture only to 180-190ºf before adding to the fermentor.)

Just a guess. Maybe you overheated the gelatin solution prior to mixing with the wort. If you get the gelatin/water mixture too near boiling, it will solidify when cooled and stay dispersed in the wort and bind with the clouding proteins and such. Your clear beer was probably more the result of good technique and time. (I heat my gelatin/water mixture only to 180-190ºf before adding to the fermentor.)

That's possible, but I usually boil the water for 10 minutes, and let cool to around 160 F. Using a mag stirrer and let that go for an hour (ocassionally putting back on heat to try and maintain 130-160 F)

This really blew my mind.

The beer before this one acted normal - gelatin on the bottom.

Thanks

Unusually high FG??

Not at all. Went from a 59 to 12

Super attenuation.

I'm really stumped on this one.

The glass cylinder showed all of the gelatin on the bottom and the beer was brilliant - as clear as any commercial APA.

Note: I used 6 gm gelatin to 6 gallons beer - I have a digital gram scale that hates very low weights.

Maybe too much gelatin to floc out ?

Beer will be 24 hours at 34 F with 30 psi tonight - I'm going to sneak a taste and see - but it smelled great when I kegged it.

Latest posts

Back