dumb question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bu11dog13795

Reaction score
I want make a blowoff air lock that is inexpensive. I could figure it out myself but just dont want to waist money on wrong supplies doing trial and error. Any thoughts? Tube sizes inner and outer diameter?

I'm not positive, but I think OP is talking about hooking up a blowoff tube to an airlock. Simplest way to do that is take your air lock into home depot or whatever your choice of hardware store is and find tubing that will fit snugly over the center hole in the airlock. This is a 3 piece air lock, yes? Also consider getting a hose clamp to hold the hose on in case your hose isn't big enough to relieve the pressure fast enough to keep your tube from blowing off.

It is a spair air lock and only cost about 5bucks. It is just a 3ft tube. It's point in life is it replaces the small pluged air lock and gives the yeast some where to go, AKA it needs to be big 1" or 1 1/8th"

AKA it needs to be big 1" or 1 1/8th"
exactly. If it will clog an air lock and send it to the ceiling, it will clog an airlock with a hose attached to it and send it to the ceiling.

a carboy: just stick a 1" ID hose in it. super cheap
a bucket: drill the lid and just stick a 1" ID hose in it. super cheap
a better bottle: use the 3/4" threaded pipe "big blow-off" adapter. $18-$25

bu11dog13795, as they say, there are no dumb questions. A blow off is simply a way to let a lot of gas escape without blowing off the "cover". It's a simple as having a tube go from the primary ferment vessel to a jar of water, the water acts as a one way valve, gas out, nothing back in. I usually do a blow off tube for the first 3 to 4 days of fermentation, because that is the most active. then affix a normal air lock after for the rest of the primary ferment (7 to 10 days).
Here is an example, I have the plastic bucket that is my primary, I have a rubber plug with a 3/8" hole, I use a 3/8" X 2" piece of copper tube, that I connect to a 3/8" piece of tubing about 2 foot long, that goes into a quart jar of water filled about half way up. No matter how active the ferment the lid stay on the bucket! Hope that helps with your question.

I cut the end off an old "S" type airlock,the part that goes into the o ring on the bucket lid. Inserted into the end of a 3/8" tube long enough to curve up & over into a 1/2 gallon plastic vodka jug 1/3 full of water & a splash of starsan. It works very well with all the co2 blowing off with a bit of krausen during initial fermentation. It only blew out once on a voratiously active fermentation. Otherwise,it stays in place nicely. When initial fermentation stops making like vesuvius,I install aclean,sanitized airlock for the remainder of fermentation.

Thanks for the tips every one. I made an imperial pale ale and put it in my closet. It blew the air lock off and got all over my clothes!! Dumb me didnt think of that. This is only my second time having this problem. Your suggestions will surly ease my headache lol

Back