Dumb move

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
so I did my first really dumb move today. I completely started my mash without the false bottom in my tun.... luckily I still have my old big pot from when I was doing extract. So I dumped it in the pot and installed my false bottom and put back into my mash tun. I've heard the stories about hot side airation.... has anybody ever done this and not had a problem? it only took me about 5 minutes to do and I didn't lose any heat my mash temp is right on target so I should be good right?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I know I had to do that before when a friend knocked my hose loose that connects the false bottom to the spigot. There was no problem at all with my brew. Turned out to be very good. I would say not to worry too much about that. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nice recovery! You must have scooped out that grain and installed the false bottom like a gazelle not to lose any heat...

Brewing is likely more forgiving than most of us would imagine, cheers!

Hot side airation is much less of a problem than previously thought. John Palmer said this and even admitted to making it into more of a thing with how to brew. As long as you aren't whipping it into a frothing mess you are good.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back