Dubhe clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Love this beer! Anyone find any info about this beer besides the "very" limited info on the Uintah website. This will be my next brew, need help with hops etc. I am suspecting patent barley and Crystal 60?
Thinking of E-mailing them for more info. I should just go on a Brewery tour and see what I can un-cover.

I haven't had it in a while, but I don't remember it being quite that bitter either. They claim in the interview it's lab tested and confirmed, so...

Love this beer! Anyone find any info about this beer besides the "very" limited info on the Uintah website. This will be my next brew, need help with hops etc. I am suspecting patent barley and Crystal 60?
Thinking of E-mailing them for more info. I should just go on a Brewery tour and see what I can un-cover.

Not related to Dubhe... I don't like it that much. My wife does though.

I went on a brewery tour last week. A coworker of mine set it up and it was awesome. Besides the walking around the brewery part, I drank Hop Notch right off the bottling line and had some Monkshine straight out of the carbonation tank.

I didn't ask any questions about recipes. I didn't want to bore the guys I was with by getting that far into specifics. Most were grappling with the ideas of mashing and lautering. So I spent a lot more time looking at process control, trying to decide how could I improve my process for the build I'm working on.

A couple things I learned on the tour is that Tilted Smile is going away. It doesn't sell well enough. And Skipping Stone is being phased out and replaced with 801.

http://www.eckraus.com/blog/uinta-dubhe-imperial-black-ipa-clone-beer-recipe

I brewed this beer about 3 and a half weeks ago. I kegged 3 gallons and bottled the rest last night, and just took the first pull...it's great! Incredible hop aroma and lots of bitterness.

I only dry hopped for 2 and a half weeks because of time constraints, but I'm not sure how much aroma and flavor I would really have gained from 3 more days. 3 weeks seems crazy long for dry hopping anyway.

Overall the beer is very good and very close to the real thing. A must - brew for black IPA lovers!

View attachment 1435253818771.jpg

View attachment 1435253922696.jpg

http://www.eckraus.com/blog/uinta-dubhe-imperial-black-ipa-clone-beer-recipe

I brewed this beer about 3 and a half weeks ago. I kegged 3 gallons and bottled the rest last night, and just took the first pull...it's great! Incredible hop aroma and lots of bitterness.

I only dry hopped for 2 and a half weeks because of time constraints, but I'm not sure how much aroma and flavor I would really have gained from 3 more days. 3 weeks seems crazy long for dry hopping anyway.

Overall the beer is very good and very close to the real thing. A must - brew for black IPA lovers!

I know this is old...but i just brewed this 2 weeks ago...and i'm about to dry hop.

did you have any negative effects of dryhopping that long? everything i've heard or learnt tells me NOT to dry hop that long! i really dont want to ruin this beer....did you drop your temp when you dry hopped that long?

thanks!!

Bumping this again :oops:

Want to give this a shot sometime next month.
I'll use chinook instead of Bravo as I have a pound of it.
I was just wondering if the Carafa III is normal or special.
Think it would be more like an imperial stout with all that roast malt so I'll probably go for the special :yes:

Bumping this again :oops:

Want to give this a shot sometime next month.
I'll use chinook instead of Bravo as I have a pound of it.
I was just wondering if the Carafa III is normal or special.
Think it would be more like an imperial stout with all that roast malt so I'll probably go for the special :yes:

I'm finally going to brew this the weekend after next and had a look on the Unita website.
It says Midnight Wheat so it would indeed be Carafa III special if you wanted to use that.
However I have 4 pounds of Weyermann roasted wheat which should be much closer to Midnight Wheat than Carafa.
I'll also be substituting the Bravo with Chinook.
Can't wait until it's ready :rock:

I'm finally going to brew this the weekend after next and had a look on the Unita website.
It says Midnight Wheat so it would indeed be Carafa III special if you wanted to use that.
However I have 4 pounds of Weyermann roasted wheat which should be much closer to Midnight Wheat than Carafa.
I'll also be substituting the Bravo with Chinook.
Can't wait until it's ready :rock:

Hey Shenanigans, how did this turn out? I love BIPAs but have not had the chance to have this one. Did you end up using carafa special III? Cheers!

I know this is an old thread and there may not be many Utahns involved, but has anybody asked the people at the beer nut for suggestions?

Hey Shenanigans, how did this turn out? I love BIPAs but have not had the chance to have this one. Did you end up using carafa special III? Cheers!

Hi,

I went with the roasted wheat as it's closer to midnight wheat and I also wanted to use it up. It turned out quite nice but wouldn't be my favorite black IPA. I never tried the original so can't say how close I was, also the use of Chinook instead of Apollo might have made a significant change.
If you are thinking about which imperial black IPA to brew I would recommend the Wookie Jack recipe on here. I liked that much better, Rye malt in a black IPA is great.

Hi,

I went with the roasted wheat as it's closer to midnight wheat and I also wanted to use it up. It turned out quite nice but wouldn't be my favorite black IPA. I never tried the original so can't say how close I was, also the use of Chinook instead of Apollo might have made a significant change.
If you are thinking about which imperial black IPA to brew I would recommend the Wookie Jack recipe on here. I liked that much better, Rye malt in a black IPA is great.

Thanks! I actually just saw the Wookey recently and was liking the way it looked. Rye is awesome! I need to brew Revvy's Kentucky common again soon. Cheers!

I know this is an old thread and there may not be many Utahns involved, but has anybody asked the people at the beer nut for suggestions?
Sorry bpgreen, not sure what you mean

Thanks! I actually just saw the Wookey recently and was liking the way it looked. Rye is awesome! I need to brew Revvy's Kentucky common again soon. Cheers!

Sorry bpgreen, not sure what you mean
The beer nut is a LHBS in Salt Lake City. Since the OP and Uintah Brewing are both in Salt Lake City, and the beer nut has really good people working there, they might be able to help develop a clone recipe.

The beer nut is a LHBS in Salt Lake City. Since the OP and Uintah Brewing are both in Salt Lake City, and the beer nut has really good people working there, they might be able to help develop a clone recipe.

Oh I see. I thought people in this thread were saying the EC kraus recipe was pretty good. Good luck

Back