Dual stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinper

Reaction score
I don't need two plates, but I found this piece of plexi that was the right size for 2 . I mounted 2 fans . my question is I only want to run 1 power supply ,how do I wire that and what size power supply? . I started with a 6volt and it wasn't enough , went to a 9volt works but seems weak . my 50 pot does not adjust speed just is a on & off , thinking I need a 25 pot. right now I only hook up 1 at a time

stir plate 003.jpg

stir plate 004.jpg

If you want the power supply to run both fans at once just wire the two red wires from each fan to the red wire on the power supply and the two black wires from each fan to the black wire on the power supply. If you want to be able to run each fan independently then you will need two switches and just split the power and ground wires from the power supply and run them to each switch. As far as how much power you need, you need to know what voltage and amperage your fans operate at then you can figure out what size supply you should get. Typically, a 12V 1A power supply should be more than enough to power any computer fan. You don't need to worry about having too much amperage because the fan will only draw as much as it needs.

What a great build!

Find out what amperage both of your fans are drawing. If you wire them i parallell, then both fans will see the same voltage, but they will consume the amperage which both fans draw accumulated. If you get a PSU big enough to accomodate both fans, you can wire in one potentiometer on each circuit which has the same rating as the one fan you want it to control.

Back