Dual Element Placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fivetoes

Reaction score
Hello fivetoes here,

This is my first post. I am in the process of building a 1 barrel setup, am planning on using two elements per HLT and Boil Kettle. My kettles are 30 gallon kegs, twice as tall as ½ barrel. Question is element placement in relation to each other when using two elements. Thanks in advance for any help.

keg1.jpg

keg2.JPG

Hello fivetoes here,

This is my first post. I am in the process of building a 1 barrel setup, am planning on using two elements per HLT and Boil Kettle. My kettles are 30 gallon kegs, twice as tall as ½ barrel. Question is element placement in relation to each other when using two elements. Thanks in advance for any help.

What's the question?

And welcome to the forums!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7497278

Most 2-element configurations I've seen have them at 90° and approximately the same height. Since your elements will run the whole width of the kettle, I would think raising one 3-4" higher than the second would reduce localized boiling interference.

I'd be sure to go with removable elements, getting your arm in that kettle is going to be enough of a pain.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7497278

Most 2-element configurations I've seen have them at 90° and approximately the same height. Since your elements will run the whole width of the kettle, I would think raising one 3-4" higher than the second would reduce localized boiling interference.

I'd be sure to go with removable elements, getting your arm in that kettle is going to be enough of a pain.

Agreed. I would certainly cut the tops of those, invert them, and use the sanke fitting as a big drain for clean-in-place. :)

Agree with above comments. You may want to put one element above the other (90 degrees apart) so you can do smaller batches running the bottom element.

With a 30 gallon BK, you are really looking at 20 gallon batches. Two 4500 watt elements will be more than enough.

Back