Drying Picked Hops - How bad is light?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barhoc11

Reaction score
I have some of my hops drying using the box fan and window screen method in my garge. I have a back door to the garage that lets light in and my garage door has windows on it as well that lets light in.

How important is it to have the hops in a totally dark place while the hops dry for a few days? I didn't even think about this until I saw another post but it didn't explain why and the only thing I can think of is how UV light skunks beer via the hops. Any help is appreciated!

I dry mine the same way, low tech quick and dirty in the garage via the box fan and window screen. I vacuum pack and freeze when they are done. The light oxidizes the AA, IIRC. I know my hops are still potent enough to brew with even after spending the winter in the freezer this way. Are they as good as they can be? Probably not. Good enough to estimate alpha and get good results when dry hopping? All my thirsty friends would say "yes."

I dry mine the same way, low tech quick and dirty in the garage via the box fan and window screen. I vacuum pack and freeze when they are done. The light oxidizes the AA, IIRC. I know my hops are still potent enough to brew with even after spending the winter in the freezer this way. Are they as good as they can be? Probably not. Good enough to estimate alpha and get good results when dry hopping? All my thirsty friends would say "yes."

Thanks, I figured as much so I am going to bring them into my dark basement and let them dry there.

Back