Dryhopped in secondary, couple questions with a pic.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawle102

Reaction score
This is my second batch of beer made. I used an IPA kit from love2brew and some WLP-001 yeast with a starter. It was in primary for 14 days and OG was 1.070.

I dryhopped with pellets and transferred to secondary this past friday night. Cleaned with PBW and santized with Star san. I transferred as little yeast as possible. I barely, if at all, disturbed the yeast cake. The next morning I went and checked on it just because this is my first time using a carboy. I noticed quite a yeast cake had formed just over night. I forgot to take a gravity reading during the transfer. I figured 14 days in primary would have been enough.

Is the yeast cake indicative of incomplete fermentation?

Will a yeast cake in the secondary create off flavors when the hop "sludge" is dropping?

IMG_4458.jpg

Even though it looked as if you weren't disturbing the yeast cake during transfer, you disturbed your yeast cake during transfer. Single cells of yeast are tiny, and even though your beer appears clear at the time of racking, there is still tons of yeast in suspension and it's quite easy for them to be sucked off the cake and into the racking cane.

Everything will be fine. Grab a gravity reading when you package.

I figured some would get transferred but I didn't think it would create a whole other yeast cake after the transfer.

I will make sure to grab a gravity reading before bottling.

It's pretty normal to see a mini-cake in a secondary. Yeast doesn't all flocculate and drop out of suspension at the same time.

Seeing this yeast in a secondary is a good thing. The stuff you see at the bottom of that carboy, will now not be in the bottles/keg.

I'm just being a worrisome beginner. Thanks for the input

Latest posts

Back