Dryhop to compliment. 3711. Nelson sauvin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surgical_ass

Reaction score
Got some mosaic hops left over from a recent ipa brew. Going to do a saison with a mosaic and citra whirlpool. Looking to do a small dryhop with something that will compliment the 3711 and mosaic/citra. Wondering about Nelson sauvin (never used this hop) Any experiences/thoughts? I know this isn't the "typical" saison just looking to mix it up a bit. Thanks!

Centennial gose well with that combo. I bet galaxy would too. Ive used galaxy in a saison that i put some lime in 6 limes zest and juice in last 5 mins. With 1 oz of galaxy at 10 and 0 then dry hopped with an ounce. You could also keep the tropical thing going and use riwaka or monteka.

Centennial gose well with that combo. I bet galaxy would too. Ive used galaxy in a saison that i put some lime in 6 limes zest and juice in last 5 mins. With 1 oz of galaxy at 10 and 0 then dry hopped with an ounce. You could also keep the tropical thing going and use riwaka or monteka.
Galaxy would be a good compliment. The lime juice and zest is interesting. Seems like that would add a nice tartness to it.

you've chosen good hops to complement that particular yeast. i wouldn't do much other than experiment with the ratios.

i think with a very expressive yeast, you want to err toward simplicity and add things as you go to taste. you could start this easily as a single hop, but i think the mosaic/citra are compatible enough that they should work too.

you may decide you like it with nelson on top of the pile, but i'd rather find that out later. there's a good chance it's great with the first two and somewhat of a chance it gets too busy with three hops and a highly phenolic yeast.

I kicked the 2nd keg of a Nelson single hop saison not too long ago. Tasted like it had lime zest or juice in it already. Not unlike a vinho verde in its tartness and drinkability at first, but got to be overwhelming midway through 2nd pint of a sitting.

Should mix well with the Mosaic, which I think would balance it. Citra might take it too tropical for my own tastes in a saison, but ymmv.

Edit to add: consulting my notes, it was actually a Nelson/Sorachi Ace combo. Also, was 565, not 3711.

Anyhoo, I wouldn't repeat all that quite the way I did it. Too too too much tartness lemongrass and lime flavors are fine and all, but got overwhelming. FYI, 1 oz SA at 60', then 2 oz each for 15' whirlpool. 10G batch.

A bit i also used some homemade candi sugar to dry it out helped accentuate the tartness. No where near a gose or anything like that tho, just enough to notice.3711 would probly do better then 565 with eather hop imo

Update* I ended up going with a small 60 min charge of magnum then 1oz mosaic at 10 min then 1oz mosaic and .5oz citra at fo. 20min whirlpool at 160* 1oz monteuka dryhop. Really happy with results. The yeast really scrubbed down the citra and mosaic but is still present. The dryhop pairs fantastic with everything. I also used 12% rye and 12% white wheat. Slight spiciness from the rye that really ties it all together. Fg is at 1.003 kegged on sunday 8day turn around (I ferment under pressure)

If you brew something similar again I would highly recommend the nelson. I regularly brew a rye saison with citra/nelson. One of if not my most favourite brew. It comes out with a nice lemon/lychee flavour. Just don't overdo it and turn it into an IPA.

If you brew something similar again I would highly recommend the nelson. I regularly brew a rye saison with citra/nelson. One of if not my most favourite brew. It comes out with a nice lemon/lychee flavour. Just don't overdo it and turn it into an IPA.
What does your hop schedule look like? Have you had the same experiences with the yeast really scrubbing down the citra flavor/aroma? What % rye are you adding? Sounds great btw!

What does your hop schedule look like? Have you had the same experiences with the yeast really scrubbing down the citra flavor/aroma? What % rye are you adding? Sounds great btw!

The hop schedule is:
Bittering addition of something neutral at 60 min to 30 IBU.
30 g each Citra/Nelson hopstand @ 70 C for 30 min
30 g each Citra/Nelson dry hop 5 days, added just before fermentation is done.

I like 15-20% rye malt in this recipe. Also I've done it with both WLP565 (DuPont) and 3711. Think I prefer the former but both are good. The spiciness from the rye and fruitiness from the hops play nicely with saison yeast I find.

Definitely a non-traditional, hop-forward saison. If you want something more restrained, I'd cut the late hops in 1/2.

Also... I haven't noticed the yeast scrubbing the Citra flavour out but there's a fair bit of Citra in there for a saison...

I mostly get lemon/pepper/lychee out of it. Not much in the way of other citrus flavours that I get in IPA when using Citra.

I found that a little Nelson can go a long way, especially in a saison. Someone mentioned vinho verde, and I agree that it is white-wine-like in it's character (on it's own at least). If it were me, I would leave it out, and see how the Citra-Mosaic pairs with 3711, then maybe the next batch add some Nelson.

Latest posts

Back