Dry yeast vs Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astropunk

Reaction score
Many of the Norther Brewer kits give you an option for dry yeast or Wyeast. It seems that they all use US04 or US05 dry yeast, or one of many varieties of Wyeast.

Is it better to use the Wyeast? It seems it has more "beer specific" strains vs. a more general use dry yeast. So far I have opted for the simplicy of dry yeast, but may switch for my next brew. The cost difference is $3-$4. Will I even notice a difference?

Wyeast does have more style specific strains available than dry.
Dry yeast like US04 and US05 will produce beer every bit as good as liquid yeast. There's just not that many options as far as strains go with dry yeast.
Fermentis' 11 gram sachet actually contains enough yeast to pitch into 5 gallons where as with Wyeast it is highly recommended you make a starter.
Your sacrificing convenience for diversity or vice versa.

Agree with dmfa200 comments. You can brew a lot of great beers with the Fermentis dry yeasts. I started with dry switched to liquid and then went back to dry. Now when I want something a bit different I go back to the liquid. Equal opportunity fermenter!

This is a good question the OP poses. I have used both types with good results. The last partial mash the LHBS sold me stachel dry yeast with a custom ingredient brown ale.
Even though I have used both I didn't notice a difference. Should I have noticed a difference in taste, mouthfeel, body?

maybe it's just me, but i have never liked beers i've brewed with dry yeast as much as those with liquid (with comparable strains). there is always an odd taste/bite to the beers that i've done with dry yeast. i like to ferment pretty low though, so maybe that has something to do with it.. i'm not sure. i use 1056 for most of my beers and harvest it so cost isn't an issue for me.

I use liquids when I want something specific from the yeast, like a Kolsch or a flavor profile where the yeast is a big component. But I even use dry lager yeast now just because I don't like to plan my brewing days in advance around starters if I don't have to.

I almost always use liquid yeast (Wyeast brand) but that is because I pretty much just brew Belgians and yeast adds so much of those flavor profiles. Liquid yeast jut gives you more control over what your end product will taste like, it's relative to going all grain from extract.

It really depends on what style you want to make.

I make a lot of american ales, so I use a lot of US-05 yeast because it's like 3.50 for a packet as opposed to 7 for a smack pack/vial of yeast. If I can get the same thing but cheaper and less work because I don't have to make a starter, it's a no brainer.

When it comes to things like Belgians or other beers where I want the yeast profile to stand out then I'll go pick up a liquid strain for that.

If you want a clean american ale (or a cleanish English ale) you can't beat dry yeast for the cost and convenience.

For my IPA's I almost always use US-05. Easy to use and works great.

Other Beers that require a different style of yeast such as my wheats or Belgians, I go with liquid.

I'll echo what others have said, if the style calls for the yeast, I will use liquid but since I brew a lot of ales, I end up using a lot of dry yeast for the cost and ease.

maybe it's just me, but i have never liked beers i've brewed with dry yeast as much as those with liquid (with comparable strains). there is always an odd taste/bite to the beers that i've done with dry yeast. i like to ferment pretty low though, so maybe that has something to do with it.. i'm not sure. i use 1056 for most of my beers and harvest it so cost isn't an issue for me.

+1

when I first started brewing I did all dry yeast and my beers were OK. Now I have taken to yeast harvesting and preparing the appropriate starters for each and everybrew. I think yeast is such a huge part of the final product that it deserves adequate time and effort. I have brewed over 20 batches of beer from 1 vial of white labs, so it's not like it costs more...you just have to wash the yeast.

Back