Dry yeast storage temp question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
Hey everyone i ordered an All grain kit from Midwest supplies and opted for the Dry Yeast and when it arrived on my door it was roughly 90f out side. My question Is dry yeast as susceptible to high temperatures as liquid yeast? As far as storage goes?. Is it possible my dry yeast died in the mail?

I went ahead and rehydrated the yeast earlier and through it in the fermenter im keeping my fingers crossed!

Given the instructions say to rehydrate the yeast in warm water (105*F IIRC) I wouldn't worry too much about it. Dry yeast packets also contain way more yeast than liquid so I'd say at least a majority is still viable if the temp did any damage at all. I'm no expert though.

:) good point about the rehydrate temp. I just always get nervous the first several hours of a new batch. I appreciate the response.

Hi , I am brewing a sour brown kreik . I pitched a ex-1118 (s.baynus) with a wyeast 3278 lambic blend. I didn't rehydrate the 1118. Should I repitch a hydrated version?

The ferment has started within 12 hour window. The og was 1.080 @ 75degrees. Any suggestions about a fermenting temp from here in out?
Thank you in advance!

Hi , I am brewing a sour brown kreik . I pitched a ex-1118 (s.baynus) with a wyeast 3278 lambic blend. I didn't rehydrate the 1118. Should I repitch a hydrated version?

The ferment has started within 12 hour window. The og was 1.080 @ 75degrees. Any suggestions about a fermenting temp from here in out?
Thank you in advance!

There's no need to repitch as you'll have plenty of yeast from the first pack. I haven't brewed a lambic myself (yet) so I'm not really familiar with the yeast strains, but I'd suggest staying on the cooler side of the temp range for your yeast and let it ramp up to room temp on it's own. Someone else may be able to give you a more specific answer.

Is it possible my dry yeast died in the mail?

Nope. Dry yeast is pretty darn tough stuff. One heck of a lot tougher than liquid yeast.

If kept refrigerated, dry yeast is suppose to only lose 4% of its viability in a year. During that same time, a vial of liquid yeast has lost over 90% and would take a lot of intensive care (multiple starter steps) to have any hope of being useable.

Hey thanks for the info to repitch or not. Second question: I was following a recipe that said to leave in the primary ferment for seven days. It has been 10 days now and it is still bubbling . I took a gravity reading on day 7 and it had gone from 1.082 to 1.042. Should I rack it to the secondary? I have a brettanomyces bacteria to add in the 2nd.

I don't want to leave it too long in the primary but I also don't want to interrupt the primary yeast if it is still working. Thoughts? Thanks!

What is your rush to move to secondary? You need to make sure your primary fermentation is complete, or just about at least, before transferring. When it will be complete all depends on what temp you fermented & how much yeast/yeast health was pitched.

It really depends on how much Brett character you want. If you wait until primary fermentation is done to add the Brett, you will still get noticeable Brett flavor as the Brett eats stuff that Sac yeast can't. Transfer now if you want overwhelming Brett flavor.

Hey thanks for the info to repitch or not. Second question: I was following a recipe that said to leave in the primary ferment for seven days. It has been 10 days now and it is still bubbling . I took a gravity reading on day 7 and it had gone from 1.082 to 1.042. Should I rack it to the secondary? I have a brettanomyces bacteria to add in the 2nd.

I don't want to leave it too long in the primary but I also don't want to interrupt the primary yeast if it is still working. Thoughts? Thanks!

don't waste your money adding brett in the secondary, that lambic blend already has 2 strains in it, you're not going to get much more character adding more. btw, brett is not bacteria, its yeast.

there's no worries about leaving it in the primary too long, many people leave it there the whole time. also, 75F is a great temp to keep it at, leave it there

Back