Dry yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
I want to brew something up with what I have already, without making a trip to the LHBS. I have maybe just under a quarter pack of US-05 left over. I want to make a gallon in one of the 1 gallon carboys I have, but im curious, if there isnt enough yeast left, can i make a starter to up the yeast count? Or risk under pitching and see what happens?

seeing as a little under a quarter for a sachet of yeast meant to inoculate 5 gallons of wort that being used to inoculate 1 gallon? pitch it and forget about it :)

I was curious because I had read a thread earlier where someone had under pitched and mold had formed after a couple of days.

For a 1/4 packet to 1 gallon you should be more than fine. Or are you considering doing a high gravity beer? If its a normal(under6-7%) I would say your fine.

For best results with that dry yeast, rehydrate it 15 minutes in 1/4 cup of warm (95*F) tap water that you've boiled and chilled, give it a stir, let it sit another 5 min and then adjust the temp of it to within 10*F of that of the wort (by adding small amounts of wort every few min). That will give you the highest number of cells possible out of that 1/4 packet.

Due to the nature of the cell walls of dry yeast, it's not beneficial to toss it into starter wort.

I just weighed the yeast I have left. Including the package I have 2.3 grams out of a net weight of 11.5 g.

BigFloyd said:
For best results with that dry yeast, rehydrate it 15 minutes in 1/4 cup of warm (95*F) tap water that you've boiled and chilled, give it a stir, let it sit another 5 min and then adjust the temp of it to within 10*F of that of the wort (by adding small amounts of wort every few min). That will give you the highest number of cells possible out of that 1/4 packet.

Due to the nature of the cell walls of dry yeast, it's not beneficial to toss it into starter wort.

I rehydrate and then pitch into starter. But like u said don't pitch into starter!

I was curious because I had read a thread earlier where someone had under pitched and mold had formed after a couple of days.

those events are probably unrelated, underpitching yeast does not lead to mold. mold is the result of mold spores getting into the fermentor and lots of what people think is mold is not mold it's new brewers panicking about things that are new to them.

I rehydrate and then pitch into starter. But like u said don't pitch into starter!

I think that what you're doing will work fine to gain more cells than what's in a packet of dry if you need them. Keep in mind that a packet of rehydrated dry yeast is plenty of cells for a 5.25 gallon batch up to 1.060 (according to Mr. Malty).

By rehydrating first, you're avoiding the problem of losing as much as half of the cells that you would by just tossing dry into wort. The starter can then give you a net gain.

BigFloyd said:
I think that what you're doing will work fine to gain more cells than what's in a packet of dry if you need them. Keep in mind that a packet of rehydrated dry yeast is plenty of cells for a 5.25 gallon batch up to 1.060 (according to Mr. Malty).

By rehydrating first, you're avoiding the problem of losing as much as half of the cells that you would by just tossing dry into wort. The starter can then give you a net gain.

I'm turning 1 packet into 2 for 10-12 gallon batches is why I do

Latest posts

Back