Dry yeast added to Imperial Stout during secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askatz

Reaction score
I racked an imperial stout to secondary prematurely with final gravity reading 1.026. So I pitched some dry yeast and it is now just floating on top with no more activity. Am I safe to bottle? Should I remove the dry yeast or just try to avoid bottling the top film? Did I **** up the beer or can I recover? OG was 1.086. Primary was 1 week, been in the secondary for 2 weeks. Thanks in advance.

How long ago did you pitch that yeast on there? I'd give it a gentle gentle mix into the beer and leave it for a week or so. That way you won't make bottle bombs if that yeast still has sugars to eat.

edit -
1.026 might be as finished as that 1.080 monster is going to get. If the yeast was in there for more than a week, I'd go for it and bottle.

I pitched the additional dry yeast 24 hours ago. Your comment confirms my suspicion that it was probably a mistake and 1.026 was probably good enough to bottle. Argh.

That's an apparent attenuation of 66%. I don't know what yeast you're using but depending on strain it was likely done. Did you add the same yeast back into the fermenter? if not I would wait a few days to see if SG falls any before bottling like lebucheron was saying. You don't want it attenuating in a bottle.

24h wouldn't be long enough for a re-fermentation to take place. Maybe boil up just a bit of sugar water, let it cool and pour that in to mix the yeast in and give it another week or two. It would be a good time to dry hop as well.

Back