Dry stout feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Hughes

Reaction score
This is a scaled down version from BYO. My question is when to add the roasted Barley And flaked Barley. only boiling 60 minutes. 65% efficiency expected since I didn’t kill my own grain for BIAB
C841891D-4E16-4529-8B1B-3D8E8163CB6D.png

Hmm...some people withhold things like roasted barley or black patent til very late in the mash or sparge if the whole purpose is just to get color...
In my opinion, there are easier ways to get color dialed in like sinamar or Brewers caramel...
But in this case I would just add it all at the beginning of the mash as roastiness and dark blackness is the whole purpose of this beer.
It will not be overwhelming...
Just mind your water has some hardness to it, or the beer will come out tasting a bit sour in my past experience...

Good choice brewing this style! I've never had one come out bad despite my past sins in royally botching the brew day

Our water is hard but I run it through a Britt and then add Campden the day before. It’s not a great tasting water out of the tap

Gotcha...activated carbon generally doesn't do much to mineral content as far as I'm aware...
It will remove chlorine and if the pore size and flow rate is right you can also remove chloramine...
Good idea to use some campden for backup...

See you got a Munich dunkel in your primary, that’s on my list. Love the one from Hofbrauhaus. what did you do grain wise?

oh wow, I haven't updated that since I started my brewery upgrade / hiatus while our 3rd baby was born...
It turned out fantastic! I used Jamil's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles...
I've been to HB Munich and it very much reminded me of that!

Back