Dry session ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teucer

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a sessionable ale with a bone-dry finish, probably somewhere in the amber or copper color range but I'm flexible on that point. I'm inspired in part by the dryness of some CDAs, but as a supertaster my preference isn't usually for very bitter beers, so I was thinking something a little more subdued than that. But like those, I want something that's obviously in the anglo-american brewing tradition where something with a bit of crystal malt is the norm, rather than being like certain highly-attenuated Belgian and German beers. But obviously I don't want to use much crystal malt if any, since the classic English and American styles don't have the dryness I'm looking for.

My thought is to use only biscuit/victory and possibly some sort of color malt for specialty grains, and give it plenty of English hop aromas (I'm thinking maybe Northern Brewer). I may or may not add a touch of sugar or honey, to boost the gravity in a way that attenuates well and helps with the dry aspect. Beyond that, no clue - this is a half-baked idea where I haven't really thought about the details all that much yet. Anyone have any brilliant ideas for where to go with this?

This style is usually a low gravity under 4%

I'm not even sure I've yet decided on a "this style," really, but I want something sessionable so low gravity is definitely correct. Maybe as high as 4.5%, but not bigger.

Back