Dry Hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RealToast

Reaction score
I'm going on a trip for 10 days. I want to start an IPA so that it spends that ten days in primary fermentation while I'm out. Many IPA recipes call for adding dry hops for a certain number of days. I won't be around to do that until I get back.

Is there any harm or flavor detriment to starting the dry hops when I get back, and then letting it sit for another 5 days or so in that primary fermenter? Or, would it be preferable to transfer from the primary fermentation container to a new container and then add dry hops for the prescribed days?

Or, is it that the whole point of dry hopping is to have the hops added during the very active fermentation period, therefore, forget about it and wait to start the brew when I get home?

Thanks.

I'm going on a trip for 10 days. I want to start an IPA so that it spends that ten days in primary fermentation while I'm out. Many IPA recipes call for adding dry hops for a certain number of days. I won't be around to do that until I get back.

Is there any harm or flavor detriment to starting the dry hops when I get back, and then letting it sit for another 5 days or so in that primary fermenter? Or, would it be preferable to transfer from the primary fermentation container to a new container and then add dry hops for the prescribed days?

Or, is it that the whole point of dry hopping is to have the hops added during the very active fermentation period, therefore, forget about it and wait to start the brew when I get home?

Thanks.

Don't worry, you can dry hop after the 10 days no problem, you absolutely don't need to dry hop during the active fermentation period, in fact many people wait for the fermentation to be over, transfer to a secondary and only then dry hop.

@RealToast - I let all my ipa's finish completely before doing anything with them. That usually means I just tuck them away and don't even think about them for two weeks. On the second week, I'll open it up, drop in the dry hops and let it sit for 3 more days or so before bottling it up. There is no need to rush it.

Adding dry hop during active fermentation may blow off many of the desired aromatics from the beer that you are trying to achieve through dry-hopping. With a healthy yeast pitch, 10 days is a good amount of time for most beers to finish out and clean up. Toss the dry hops right into a settled primary. Time may vary depending on experience, desired flavor and other factors, but I like to do 2 additions of 3 days each. I usually dry hop with leaf in a bag and pull the first before adding the second, but have also seen great results from a straight-up 5 day pellet dry-hop.

Thanks! This is exactly what I'd hope to learn.

My first time doing a dry hop, I used an ounce of Citra pellets for 5 days. Dropped them right in. It was fantastic. The second time, I filled the carboy to the top with whole leaf. Also turned out great. I wouldn't stress over times too much. Just keep your fermentation temps right.

Back