Dry hopping -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KepowOb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been doing some research into dry hopping, as I'd like to dry hop the batch I currently have fermenting. It seems there are as many opinions on when, and for how long to dry hop, as there are people who actually do it.

My general understanding is to do it sometime after primary fermentation has come to an end (though I even read one article about dry hopping as the krausen falls, to wait three days, thenrack to a secondary, which just confused the bejebus out of me).

Some people seem to think that dry hopping shortly after the active stage of fermentation is finished is a good time to go. Others advocate waiting till the beer clears up before throwing the hops in.

I was hoping to have this batch have a rather quick turn around, but it looks like I should've looked into all this before wanting a quick turn-around beer.

I'll be dry hopping in my primary, so I don't need to get into talk of all that... I just want to know what type of schedule I should be looking at... as in, can I throw them in as soon as active fermentation is done, or do I need to wait till I hit my FG, or do I need to let it sit for a few weeks and have it clear up?

From my reading in preparation for my own dry hopping experiment you just dump the hops into your primary 3-5 days before you bottle to preserve the max. amount of aroma.

I've kept this piece for my own reference (it's from Midwest but i'm not trying to promote them - I just happen to shop from them!):
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/what-is-dry-hopping.html

I dry hop 90%, 7 days is the sweet spot for me but anything from 3-14 days has been fine for me. FWIW and YMMV and WTF.

Steve da sleeve

I have to agree with RICO. I use the same schedule and I always get good results. However, I have noticed that if I leave hops in for more than 7days I get more grassy flavors out of the hops.

This post is really timely. I have a batch of Stone Levitation clone bubbling away right now. I normally leave my beer in primary for 2-3 weeks then package. I was listening to a pod cast on Brew Strong a few weeks back and they mention tossing the hops in while some fermentation is still showing. This allows the yeast to consume any oxygen that might be introduced along with the hops.

I plan on using pellets and so I think the amount of oxygen will be minimal but it's still something to think about...

I'd pretty much settled on waiting till it's finished and then throwing them in... now you've made me question that, haha.

I've heard stuff like that as well... but I've also heard you don't want to do that because the off gassing of your beer will reduce the aroma. But then, I figure I'm leaving my hops in for 5-7 days, so if I put it in right near the end of fermentation, is there a "perfect" time to do so?

I think since it's my first time I'll just keep it simple and wait till my fermentation finishes before throwing my hops in there. Based on previous experience, I thought I'd already have it in there, but it's been 8 days now and I've still got 2 inches of krausen... Damn yeasties not paying attention to my own schedules!

I'd pretty much settled on waiting till it's finished and then throwing them in... now you've made me question that, haha.

I've heard stuff like that as well... but I've also heard you don't want to do that because the off gassing of your beer will reduce the aroma. But then, I figure I'm leaving my hops in for 5-7 days, so if I put it in right near the end of fermentation, is there a "perfect" time to do so?

I think since it's my first time I'll just keep it simple and wait till my fermentation finishes before throwing my hops in there. Based on previous experience, I thought I'd already have it in there, but it's been 8 days now and I've still got 2 inches of krausen... Damn yeasties not paying attention to my own schedules!

To add to "the other hand" (how many hands is that?!?!)- there is a school of thought that yeast in suspension will "cling" to the hops oils and pull them out as they flocculate. Which means not only would the hops aroma off-gas out the airlock if fermentation isn't finished, but when the yeast finishes and falls out, the effects of dryhopping will be reduce.

I honestly don't know which is correct! But my experiences are that dryhopping in primary is fine, with results similar to doing it in secondary, if the fermentation is finished and the beer is clear when the dryhops are added. So that's what I do- add the dryhops once the beer is clear about 5-7 days before packaging. I've gone as short as 3 days, which was fine, but I usually shoot for 5 or so before packaging if it works with my schedule.

8 days & still going, holy cr@p!!!

Yeah... It's been slow and steady the entire time. Had 36 hours of lag time and then it's just been doing it's thing since then.

To add to "the other hand" (how many hands is that?!?!)- there is a school of thought that yeast in suspension will "cling" to the hops oils and pull them out as they flocculate. Which means not only would the hops aroma off-gas out the airlock if fermentation isn't finished, but when the yeast finishes and falls out, the effects of dryhopping will be reduce.

I honestly don't know which is correct! But my experiences are that dryhopping in primary is fine, with results similar to doing it in secondary, if the fermentation is finished and the beer is clear when the dryhops are added. So that's what I do- add the dryhops once the beer is clear about 5-7 days before packaging. I've gone as short as 3 days, which was fine, but I usually shoot for 5 or so before packaging if it works with my schedule.

Yeah I'd read that as well. I guess it just gives more reason to brew beer... experiment and see what works best! :mug:

Latest posts

Back