Dry hopping with pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niday2288

Reaction score
I'm currently working on a Pliny the elder kit from more beer.com. I have added the hop pellets to my secondary for the dry hop. The airlock has been going crazy, most likely from racking from the primary. There appears to be a deep green krausen that has formed. First it was about 2 inches thick and has dropped to about 3/4 of an inch. Not sure if its truly krausen or not but my question is, will the hops eventually sink into the bottom? The beer has been in the secondary for a week now. I plan on leaving it in the secondary for a month total and will cold crash it shortly I think. It's is my first go at dry hopping.

Hop debris doesn't always sink. You can just rack from under the stuff on top and above the trub, and as the level of the beer lowers you will find that you'll get beer out of the middle and you can keep lowering your racking cane until you hit the trub layer. That avoids all of that hop debris.

It's unusual to dryhop for a month. Most often, dryhopping is done for 5-7 days although I've seen some recipes go as long as 14 days. Are you sure you want to do that?

I would like to condition for another's couple weeks but I think if I go ahead and get the cold crash working then I can just bottle this weekend. Thanks is for the input. I will not dry hop for the full month

Back