Dry Hopping with Hop Shots or extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone ever tried to use the distilled or co2 extracted hop oils to dry hop with? I did a huge barley wine last week and used hop shots for the 60 minute bittering addition as well as at 15 minutes for some flavor and aroma. I also tried to dissolve another hop shot in some vodka to use it for dry hopping, just for fun. It's been in the 80 proof vodka for a day and didn't dissolve much, so I shook the crap out of it and left it sit another day. Same results, just 2 globs, one floating and one that sank to the bottom. I'm thinking perhaps a much higher proof product like grain alcohol may work better, but then again maybe not. Anyone ever try this? I don't think what I have right now is going to work for dry hopping, so the next batch I make I'm going to pour the whole thing into the boil for the bittering addition so as not to waste it. When they create the hop extract is it even extracting the desirable oils we're trying to get for aroma, or is it just straight alpha acids?

Hop shots are intended to contribute to bittering and hop undertones - they're not suitable for dry hopping (there's nothing dry about them). Hop shots need the volatility of hot or boiling wort to do what they do.

Stick with pellets or whole hops fro dry hopping - cheaper anyway.

Back