Dry hopping with fermenter + soda keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo Bastos

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here, and I've been brewing for some years.

I'm a dryhopping IPA fan. I have done successfull batches, and disastrous ones as well.

My standard time for Dry hopping is during 5 days at 14 C (as recommended by Brewdog DIY). My standard yeast is US-05. In most of my tries, I used Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe and Cascade.

My best batch: was dry hopped with 8grams/liter in a normal plastic fermenter (secondary). I made primming with sugar, placed it into the fermenter and bottled with the standard straw (gravity). I used citra+cascade and it was with a fantastic aroma. I haven't purged CO2 from this batch anytime. Also, the bottling process didn't oxidyze the beer neither lost the aroma.

Afterwards, I tried to improve my technique. But couldn't get even nearly the same results as this "perfect batch"... :(

Bad batches: I have tried to transfer the beer to a soda keg (after purging all the O2 from it). I placed the hose on the very bottom of the keg (with O2 purged, and plenty CO2 injected), opened the fermenter knob a little and let the beer flow slowly, not to generate bubbles.. And afterwards dryhopped inside this keg.. Tried to bottle the beed with a counter-pressure like beer-gun... But never got such expected results.. And got low results for 2-3 times..

Some of them I guess that chlorophenol was the problem, as I washed these kegs with non-filtered water, but in other cases, even washing with filtered and proper water, I didn't get the best results.. Of course I did sanitize the kegs all the times.. I tried iodophor, and alcohol 70.

Yet another bad batch: I fermented in the standard fermenter, added the dryhopping (8 grams per liter), and before bottling, the beer smelled perfectly! But...... After bottling with the straw (gravity).... The aroma was all gone in a very few days... I tried also a bottled beer with 1-2 days (of course primming wasn't finished), but aroma was gone away as well..

Maybe I will try a different method, and would like your opinion: Ferment normally, add the hops after the fermentation is finished. Wait for 5 days. Then get a soda keg, purge the O2, add CO2 to it, and transfer the beer to it. I would carbonate the beer in this keg, shake it , wait 1-2 days, and then bottle with a counter pressure bottler.

Do you have any ideas about what I may have done wrong during this journey ??

Thanks!!

Back