Dry Hopping While Beer is on Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razyrsharpe

Reaction score
Can i dry hop while my beer is racked on top of pineapple? i am racking a wheat beer to the secondary on top of 2lbs of fresh pineapple and i am curious if i can dry hop with 2 oz. of Belma hops (same variety used in the recipe) at the same time. Does anyone have experience in this technique? Thanks!

Can i dry hop while my beer is racked on top of pineapple? i am racking a wheat beer to the secondary on top of 2lbs of fresh pineapple and i am curious if i can dry hop with 2 oz. of Belma hops (same variety used in the recipe) at the same time. Does anyone have experience in this technique? Thanks!

One of the main issues would be that the fruit will cause another fermentation, active fermentation will decrease hop flavor and aroma to a certain extent. That said, it's certainly possible, you'll just get better results with a separate dry hop.

Typically you would want to dry hop after active fermentation has subsided. When you rack onto the fresh pineapple, you're adding new sugar, which means a new fermentation. That means more CO2 is being produced, which tends to scrub hop aroma. I would think the ideal would be to rack off the pineapple, then dry hop for however many days.

So far every time I've used fruit it ends up floating, so if that's the case with the pineapple I'm not sure it'll work too well. I use pellets, so I think all the hop matter would just stick to the fruit and float up, which may or may not be a bad thing. With whole hops I don't think it would be an issue though.

EDIT: Plus what ong said. I forgot about the renewed fermentation aspect so his idea may be your best bet.

i also found the fruit floating. and i read another thread that said hops will negate or curtail the aromas of the fruit if done together. thanks for chiming in, i believe that i will forgo the dry hop and just use the fruit.

after reading a bit more, i think i will forgo the dry hopping and just use the fruit this go around. thanks for responding.

Let the fruit float, let the second fermentation finish then throw a stainless steel weight in your hop bag so it will sink the bag. BTW weighing down the hops have produced better results than letting them stay afloat in my expirience.

Back