Dry hopping unusual taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murrayh

Reaction score
Hi

Just done an all grain clone of stone and wood pacific ale. Put 30g of galaxy in the fermenter for the last few days, dry hop (lazy way i normally rack off to secondary) but I've got this bitter taste of sorts with out any of the fruity passionfruit aroma. Get the taste same with nelson sauvin when i try to make other hoppy beers.I Usually dry hop 7-12 days.

If you've had a pacific ale it smacks with fruity passionfruit aroma and taste, i can't seem to get that kind of hoppy flavour?

In my experience, dry hopping gets you that "bag of hops" aroma, fresh and maybe a little vegetal and grassy. The flavor and more fruity aromas are derived in the late boil additions. Did you add a large late addition?

One thing we've talked a bout a few times since I've been here is different flavors in varying degrees with the same hops with different wort combos. Or even subing in another hop that changes overall flavor complexity. Or gives more of a certain flavor that's desireable. Even yeast can play a roll in accenting hops or malts. Fruity esters or clean that all have some bearing on the final outcome. I think yeasts tha tproduce non-descript fruity flavors can round out fruity hop flavors. Or even bring out the really subtle ones from given hop combos. That's the tuff part to duplicate though. Also,I don't dry hop more than 7 days. That could also change the equation...length of dry hop time.

Back