Dry Hopping time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMeister49

Reaction score
I brewed a Mac N Jacks last Sunday. It fermented very well since I used a nice starter and it has been 8 days. The airlock bubbles once every 14 seconds ( I timed it) and the Krausen is dropping. I need to dry hop for 5-7 days. Should I add the hops now?

I sucked out a sample ( with a beer thief ) and my target final is 1.019 and I was at 1.020. It tasted absolutely awesome! So I dry hopped. I was planning on doing 1/2 - 3/4 ounce but I just decided last minute for the entire ounce since I love me some Cascades!

I thought about waiting for it to drop all the way out but got anxious and felt that a small bit may be beneficial. We'll see! Thanks!

Otoh, a bit of residual CO2 production would help scrub out any oxygen introduced by dry-hopping...

Cheers!

On my Mac & Jacks I add the hops when fermentation looks to be done but still a little activity to drive off any oxygen after adding the hops.
I leave for two weeks and then bottle. Gives you a definite hop forward aroma and flavor but mellows after a two or three weeks in the bottle.

When dry hopping co2 from fermentation to prevent oxidation is not necessary since the hops themselves give nucleation sites for the co2 in solution to bind to.
Translation: oxidation is not a risk from dry hopping. Your airlock will bubble after adding the dry hops to a month old brew. But to answer when... It depends... Duration of dry hop, quantity of dry hop and cold crash all factor in.

Back