Dry hopping single bottles with whole hop cones. Anyone ever done this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bell

Reaction score
Truth is, I'm not asking because I'm going to try it, I already did it with five bottles of a simple pale ale (extract + steeping grains) that I bottled about 3 weeks ago. I added 1 homegrown cascade hop cone to 5 bottles out of a half batch. It's fantastic, by the way. I'm just wondering how long these will last, and will the hop intensity go up as they age? I'm thinking I should drink these sooner than the others. Only 4 left now, unfortunately :(. I'd be curious as to whether anyone else has tried this, and your experience with it.

Cheers

Maybe kinda like the worm in the Tequila bottle? Do they still make that stuff?

I believe if you dry hop for too long, you will start to get overly grassy flavors. For that reason I wouldn't recommend. However, since you've done it, age them a while and try it out! Let us know how it turns out. :)

You tried the first at 3 weeks; try one each week for the next four and see how they age. Sounds really interesting!

It will get in the glass but worth it I guess. I don't know about whole cones as far as falling apart though.

I've read about a few folks who did that on here (do a seach and you can find them) and it made a mess. Ended up with tons of hop gunk floating in the beer.

Neighbor is a craft beer lover (we get along very well) and has a very good palate to boot. I had him do a triangle test with the cone in the bottle vs. the beer without. He was able to pick out pretty quickly the one that had the hop cone in the bottle, and preferred it, as do I. There is one bottle that accidentally ended up w/ 2 cones. I'm going to try to get a photo and add to my gallery.

@ badbrew, the cones seem to stay in the bottle. It's actually hard to get them out. They haven't fallen apart.

@ fatbaldbeerguy, after the triangle test above, only 3 left now.:( Good thing I'm growing more cascades. Honestly wish I had done a few more this way. I've never dry hopped a batch; given the outcome of this will likely just dry hop the whole batch next time.

I got a pretty cool pic of the bottle with the 2 cones in it, 1 big fat one just kinda suspended in the middle. It's in my galley.

Back