Dry-Hopping / Sediment / Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drlars

Reaction score
Okay, so I am planning on bottling my split-batch IPA (half citra, half amarillo) tonight. I used a Two-Hearted clone partial-mash malt bill (O.G. = 1.072). American Ale II yeast with a starter. They've been fermenting for four weeks total now. And for the last week, I've been dry-hopping each in their respective 2.5-gal fermentors with hop pellets and marbels in nylon mesh bags. (This is my first attempt at dry-hopping.)

For the last 4 days, they've been 'cool'-crashing in the basement. So I bring them up today in preparation for bottling tonight. Except when I look at them now, the airlock seems to be active again. Plus, I can see streams of CO2 bubbles coming off of the sediment (which was agitated a lot more than usual with the marble bags when I transported them).

Does anyone know if CO2 simply gets trapped in the sediment, or should I be worried about bottle-bombs? I mean, its been four weeks......

CO2 is less soluble in warm liquid than cold, which is why a warm bottle of beer/soda can be messy to open. You're seeing CO2 leave the beer as it warms up. No big deal. The sediment is a nice nucleation site.

I'm no scientist so I could be wrong on this (fair warning). The yeast reaction does produce CO2 and alcohol during fermentation. As I understand it, some of that CO2 does dissolve into the product. I don't find it unusual at all that you see some CO2 fizz.

If you agitated things by dragging your carboy upstairs, I'm not surprised that the airlock bubbled a tad. Just CO2 escaping. The change in temperature could probably also cause the gas in the headspace to expand.

The way you ensure you don't get bottle bombs is to use your hydrometer. I'm pretty sure that your beer is done, it has been in the fermenter for 4 weeks but sometimes people get a stuck fermentation that restarts later. Your hydrometer doesn't know how to lie. Take a reading now, take a reading on Thursday. If they are exactly the same, you bottle. If they have changed, you wait.

Thanks for the quick replies - I feel better about bottling it now. I got 15 and 16 Grolsch swing-tops, respectively, from each of the 2.5 gal batches.

Just to be safe, I transferred all of the coats out of the closet that I am keeping them in. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because the wife would be unhappy (to say the least) if they exploded.

I know people say to take successive hydrometer readings, but I kind of had to bottle them yesterday or else my next chance wouldn't be until next week, and I've heard some people say thats too long to dry-hop because you'll get a 'grassy' taste.

BTW - the split-batch bottling was even more of a PITA than than on brew day. I don't know that I'll do that again. On the upside, the green beer I sampled from the hydrometer flask tasted great, so I think these batches have potential.

Latest posts

Back