Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewMasterRace

Enthusiastic Homebrewer
Reaction score
Hi all,

I missread the recipe for the neipa that am making and I dry hopped at day 3 instead of only for 3 days. I'm now on day for and was planning to dry hop again on Friday.

My question is, when I dry hop the new bag should I fish out the old one? I'm using citra, Galaxy and mosaic hops; are these prone to grassy flavors if I leave them in for an extended amount of time?

The beer should be done next Tuesday as I pitched an extra yeast packet.

Thanks for your help!

NEIPAs usually are dry hopped at least two times, tipically: once during early fermentation and again towards or after fermentation has finished. So day 3 is OK, albeit a bit too late, but probably fine.

You should not get grassy flavours from 5-7 days, but I would take out the first addition of hops and add the new one. Personally, I only dry hop for 2-3 days as I find to give me lots of flavours.

As @thehaze said, you're actually a little late for the first dryhop in a NEIPA. ;)

I leave my dry hops in, they're loose, no way to retrieve them. They all sink to the bottom at the end.

If you bag, make sure there is enough room inside the bag. Hops swell tremendously when wet. Beer needs to flow in out to extract the goodness. A little careful agitation every now and then can help with that.

At all cost try to avoid air (O2) exposure and oxidation.

Thanks for the advise, I'll see if they're easy to fish out Friday without agitating the beer. If not I'll leave it in there.

In regards to space in the bag, I had double and did the same amount as I had initially done in the boil so it did look good. As I was planning to cold crash on the second set of hops I think I'll just let them float in their see if I can get more aroma.

Thanks again for the advice, feel much better!

Latest posts

Back