Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhammer

Reaction score
A friend and I have recently brewed a 60 minute IPA but we only ended up with about 4.25 gallons. We are using a 6 gallon Better Bottle for primary. I want to dry hop in the primary, but I want to avoid oxidation. Should I primary for two weeks and then dry hop for one week (in the same vessel) to avoid grassy notes, or should I primary for one and dry hop for two weeks (again, in the same vessel) to allow SOME fermentation to combat possible oxidation, or should I primary for one week and dry hop for one week and limit the total time to two weeks? Thanks for your input.:confused:

Don't worry about oxidizing it... just toss the dry hops in there for 7 days. You'll be all good.

Given my scenario, would there be no issue going for four weeks, dry hopping for the last week?

That would be fine, but I think you'd have a perfectly complete beer if you just primary for three weeks and add the dry hops during the last 5-7 days of that period like Yooper said.

Don't worry about removing the top for a few moments. If your fermentation vessel was reasonably sealed, the beer will be blanketed in CO2. Just don't leave the lid/stopper off for an extended period of time and you're gold.

I would dry hop after 7 days in the hope of scrubbing any oxygen assuming ferment is not complete. It may well be complete if you pitched adequate healthy yeast.

Latest posts

Back