Dry hopping process in a conical questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNugent

Reaction score
So I'm fairly new using a Stout conical fermenter and have a question on how you all handle dry hopping. I have a 10 gallon batch in a 15 gallon conical, need to add 4oz of leaf hops to the batch.

Do you all just throw the leaf hops straight in and let them settle out on their own?

Do you put them in a bag or some other device to keep them contained and out of the kegs once its time to transfer?

Will they settle out on their own if I just throw them in? The Stout conical has an adjustable pickup so I can adjust while pushing the beer out to my kegs but will there be leaf hops still floating around in the beer? I have a few mesh bags I could use but I want to get the best hop utilization possible and would rather just throw them in if I know it won't be a huge issue when it comes time to keg.

TIA,

Trent

I either bag them in a sanitize nylon bag or put them in a large stainless tea-ball. The ball sinks a bit, the bag needs to weighed down with stainless ball bearings or the like. I do this after dumping the yeast out of the cone. It's a super PIA if leaf hops get caught in the valve when transferring. When the bag sinks into the cone it also acts a a filter when transferring. Bonus.

Back