Dry hopping in the primary cause of oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neptune

Reaction score
I have now read on multiple threads that there is a risk of oxidation when you dry hop.

How big of a concern is this? I'm brewing 5 gal batches... a couple days ago I threw 4 ounces of hops in my primary after three weeks. This was my well thought out, complicated process:

1. Lifted the lid on the bucket
2. Threw the pellets in (not violently, but not gently either)
3. Closed the lid on the bucket

Is this not good technique? I've previously only dry hopped using a muslin bag.

Also, is it normal to see a noticeable uptick in airlock activity after doing this? I chalked it up to the pellets expanding or stirring up the trub or something. Any feedback is appreciated :mug:

Want to keg this today (if the new kegs show up).

I do all ym IPAs in buckets as opposed to carboys (so its easier to get the hops in and out) carboys would have less oxidation but I try to minimize the amount of time thelid is off. IMO, as long as you are quick about it, you shouldnt get much oxidation from cracking the lid open (I dont take it completely off) for a sec while you dry hop and grab a sample.

Its pretty normal for some airlock acitivty. Somethign about the dry hopping usually releases some co2 from the beer

It depends on a variety of factors, amount of hops, leaf vs pellet, number of additions caged or uncaged. Relatively small additions of pellet shouldn't cause any issues

The reason why your airlock is going off is that the hops provide nucleation points for CO2 that is in solution. Here's a good picture (lifted from Wikipedia) that shows this effect:

Nucleation_finger_zoom.jpg

The risk of oxidation from dry hopping is almost certainly exaggerated. A tenth of a liter of air, surely more than would actually react with the beer, would get you about 1 ppm oxygen in a 5 gallon batch.

Back